Bringing Up The Rear

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Poor Fork RR waycar #7 is bringing up the rear on a mine run that is entering the Miller's Hill Tunnel...

Attachments

• minerun1.jpg
    minerun1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 150

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Nice photo Charlie, looks like the cameraman was a little late taking the photo.:D
Shamus

George D

Aug 28, 2003
Yorktown, VA
Visit site
Originally posted by Casey Feedwater
Charlie, that's a really neat shot. I like the low camera angle - it's far more realistic than the usual helicopter shots most model photographers seem to take. And that autumn scenery.... :thumb:

As an ex-helicopter pilot, I resemble that comment!:)

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Nice shot Charlie! Say, I haven't heard the expression "waycar" before. I'm assuming some roads use it for "caboose" like others use "cabin" (?)
Ralph

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Thanks evryone! :)
Originally posted by Ralph
Nice shot Charlie! Say, I haven't heard the expression "waycar" before. I'm assuming some roads use it for "caboose" like others use "cabin" (?)
Ralph
Ralph,
I think the term "waycar" is one of those "antique" RR terms, & probably fell out of use, right along with "mixed train".
A waycar was an all purpose car, which could serve as caboose, passenger car, & freight car, sometimes simultaniously...they were very common on early short lines...lines with small rosters, & even smaller revenue. They were generally homemade type construction, most of the time having a caboose-like configuration, but could be as simple as a flatcar with a shed built on it, or a boxcar with windows cut into the sides...
I felt like such a contraption would be right at home on the Poor Fork RR, so the home shops rather hastily, & slppily threw one together, made out of a couple of old wrecks, & the result was #7...

Attachments

• mvc-035f.jpg
    mvc-035f.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 73