Bridges on grades

Jim de Bree

I am currently constructing a layout that will have girder bridges (Central Valley) on a grade. Has anybody experienced problems with locating a girder bridge ( or another type of bridge for that matter) on a grade? Is there anything special with respect to the supporting structure that I need to be concerned about?:confused:

Tyson Rayles

Jim, I have two bridges on a grade (straight no curves) and I put em' in the regular way. While I haven't finished the scenery yet they are completely operational and I have had no problems.

Vic

Hi Jim, Like Tyson I have 2 on grades too...actually one is a trestle. Haven't had any problem with them. On the bridge though I built the sub-roadbed just as if there was not going to be a bridge there and then cut it out to fit the bridge. This was so that the grade would remain constant in the bridge area.

Tyson Rayles

Following Vic's train of thought (pun intended :D ), I use Woodland Scenics grade kits and I did the same thing ( went back and cut out the section for the creek so the grade would stay constant).

R.B. Turner

Am I glad somebody asked this question! It's one more thing I have an idea of how to do now. I feel like quite a rookie.

msh

What About Curved??

I was planning on putting a short trestle style bridge on the flat portion of my grade, just as it curves into the beginning of the downward slope. I even had a totally sweet Campbell Scale Models, #303 70' curved trestle bridge picked out to buy - until I discovered it would arrive in what appeared to be about 10,000 pieces. OOHH! :eek:

I want to know what alternatives I have, or as a less than experienced modeler, if I should proceed and take on the complexity of that kit. At $26.00 I don't want to take an unnecessary chance.

rockislandmike

I hear you, msh. I'm still in my rookie year, and that sounds pretty intimidating. I've got a few kits already that are going to take a lot of skill that I've put at the bottom of the priority list for now (a Custom Finishing Track Alignment Tamper comes to mind), but especially when all the pieces look pretty similar like the kit you were thinking about, gheesh.

Just thought I'd mention.....

With a trestle --- or any sort of bridge I guess --- the vertical elements of the structure should stay vertical. Not at a 90 degree angle to the track plane. Otherise it just won't look right.

Bill S

Woodie

Yeah, Bill.

I had thought of that too. IF it's a girder/ steel frameworked kit, then the 90 degree vertical/horizontal aspects wont be as such, when a bridge of this nature is included in an incline.

marty w.

msh,
Do not let the number of pieces in that kit turn you off.
I have built the same kit many years ago. It's not as bad as you may think.
If I remember, the instructions are good.
Marty

msh

Gents - I wasn't clear enough... sorry. The trestle would not be a part of the downgrade. It would be on the curve that immediately precedes it and would be level as you've indicated it should be.

I need to know if I should seek alternatives to the trestle kit, or as a less than advanced modeler, if I should proceed and take on the complexity of that kit. Like I said, at $26.00 I don't want to take an unnecessary chance on blowing my cash on a disaster!

Gary Pfeil

MSH, I think almost anyone, even beginners, can build a Campbell trestle. Campbell instructions are the best I have ever seen, and include templates for all pieces that need to be cut to size. In fact, I think my first experience with Campbell kits taught me a lot of what I know today about kit building. My guess is you will enjoy the building of the kit and be proud of it when complete. You can keep the templates and use them to build other bridges in the future. Enjoy.

Gary

msh

That's what I wanted to know - two of you think it's not as scary as it appears and that's good enough for me. I would have been disappointed otherwise since I just love that trestle - it looks great, it's short enough to be useful on my 4x8, and will make a very cool addition to my slowly developing 1:87 world.

Thanks very much. Off to Traintrack.net, credit card in hand.

billk

Best advice I've ever heard for kits like these:
1) Take your time.
2) Quit before you get tired or frustrated.
3) Measure twice, cut once.
4) Follow the directions.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
msh,
When you look at that trestle kit, and see ALL those pieces,it's easy to be intimidated.
What you need to look at is,,,,, A trestle is made up of bents(the vertical supports) stringers(horizontal members) ties, and track. Once you build the first bent, the next one builds the same way etc. etc. etc.
Look at it as building one small kit, many times, and putting all the small kits together to make the trestle.
Oh yeah, one more thing,..............Go for it!
Pete

msh

ONE more thing....

Can this Campbell kit's curve be adjusted slightly to match my curve, which is made from flex and varies from 22" to 18" radius?