Bridge Track

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Hookedtrout, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout Member

I'm running Atlas code 100 track. I have seen bridge track that has the double rail on each side. Not sure what it is called. Does anyone know of a source for buying this type track to put over bridges? I didn't see any through Atlas.

Thanks, Hook
  2. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

Ha HT, There called guard rails. I don't know of any manufactures, but you can remove the rails from a piece of Code 100 flex track and make your own guard rails to any lenght you need.
  3. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout Member

Thanks man, guess I'll have to get a good picture of what they look like and start fabricating my own. I planned on scratch building my bridge so I wanted to make sure the rails going over looked right.

Hook
  4. Muddy Creek

Muddy Creek Member

5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Hook: there are lots of variations on the guard rails, as well. The spacing from the running rails varies, but it's never as close as the check rails in a switch. I've seen it made with anlgle iron. The ends vary as well. Some just bend down into the ballast; most bend inwards; some bend in to meet and have a little point casting there. I think most probably bend down so that they don't snag anything dragging.
    I have to add some to a stretch of track -- I plan to drill holes in every 5th or 6th tie and put in spikes. I'll be using some lighter rail tham the main track.
  6. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout Member

Perfect! You guys are awesome. Great advice, perfect link, with photos! I hadn't even taken into consideration anything catching on the center rails. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Hook
  7. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

There's an interesting photo of guard rails on Interurban's thread on 2816. (I don't know how to include a direct link for it.)
  8. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout Member

Not sure what you are referring to on the 2816? Looked for a thread in the HO section by interuban but didn't see one right off hand.

Hook
  9. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

10. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I think bridge track with guard rails is available from Walthers, but it is in the code 83 line made by Shinohara.
  11. Hookedtrout

Hookedtrout Member

Got it, that is a cool bridge.

Thanks, Hook
  12. Santa Fe Jack

Santa Fe Jack Member

This is true. I bought a section, but was disappointed to find that it is of a fixed length and (perhaps unsurprisingly) will not bend to a curve. I needed it for curved trestles. It's a lovely piece of track, but unfortunately I cannot use it.

The bridge track section is Walthers 948-899
  13. zathros

zathros -----SENIOR---- Administrator

Sante Fe Jack, this thread is approximately 9 years old. I think you have taken the prize in posted in dead threads!!

Please, don't do it anymore. Stay in threads dated no more than 3 months old. Thread Closed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.