Bridge suggestion needed

Joepomp

Dec 29, 2002
New Jersey How yous doing
Visit site
Side # 2

Here is side #2 this is a 70' through plate girder bridge.
I usde Modle RR Bridges & Trestles as a referance. I drew the parts in Auto Cad to full scale then printed then at 1/87 for HO.
I am starting on the flooring next.

Hi ss,
I believe that Ray has the right idea for making a "curved bridge"
You must use a straight section wide enough to support the curved track. If using multiple curved sections joined at an angle, my understanding is that you must support each joint with a pier, bent, or buttress. See Gary Pfeil's pix for example. Otherwise the curvature and weight cause a twisting force or moment to be applied to the abutment attachments. This contributes to a loss of structural integrity, possibly resulting in the well-known LUDIR syndrome.*:mad:

Of course, if you don't expect a visit from the Proto Police, just build it however u think looks good (and holds up your heaviest loco)!! :D :D

*locomotive upside down in ravine

Jun 30, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
Originally posted by cidchase
Hi ss,
I believe that Ray has the right idea for making a "curved bridge"
You must use a straight section wide enough to support the curved track. If using multiple curved sections joined at an angle, my understanding is that you must support each joint with a pier, bent, or buttress. See Gary Pfeil's pix for example. Otherwise the curvature and weight cause a twisting force or moment to be applied to the abutment attachments. This contributes to a loss of structural integrity, possibly resulting in the well-known LUDIR syndrome.*:mad:

Of course, if you don't expect a visit from the Proto Police, just build it however u think looks good (and holds up your heaviest loco)!! :D :D

*locomotive upside down in ravine

Well, my curved bridge is just 1 'segment' long with both ends already supported, the 'bridge' needs to be for show only.