Bridge question

billk

Got a question about bridges. Which comes first - the tracks over the bridge or the bridge? I'm talking mainly about trestle bridges, or other kinds with a lot of supports under them.
If you build the bridge first, how too you make sure it level across where the tracks go?
If the tracks first, how do you get the bridge to fit in under the tracks?
Any suggestions?
Thnx, BillK

bridged

Billk, frankly, I think the chicken came first.

Seriously, I'm glad you asked. I'm setting with my tracks across about a 16" gully, U shape, no steep banks, and about 8" deep. I've got only one layer of plaster towel down so far. Now, I'm going to watch this thread, because I didn't known what I was going to do next.

OK, everybody, come on. You got 2 of us waiting now>

Lynn

roryglasgow

The chicken and the bridge

Well, I'll contribute my cent-and-a-half... My first scratchbuilding project was a small trestle that I intended to use on a future layout. Two layouts later and I still haven't used it. But my idea was to build the gorge roughly around the bridge, shortening the legs as needed. I figured it would be a give-and-take process. The hard part was that I'd have to shape the gorge so that the legs wouldn't need to be cut in the middle of the crossmembers...

Attached is a picture of the bridge. I figured that the legs on the end would have to be shorter, so I didn't extend them all the way down. It wasn't my intention that any except the middle two sets of legs would remain their present length.

-Rory

Attachments

• trestle.jpg
    trestle.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 121

shamus

Registered Member
My method for trestle building is to first of all make the main support (1/8" ply) and lay track on it making sure that it is also removeable. Once you know the bridge part fits, make the rest of the trestle away from the railroad. When complete fit a cardboard frame to the underneath of the trestlebridge suitably painted and grassed, this will give you a starter on the scenery side as it is difficult to do later, and also show the steps in the trestle for adding the scenery later.

shamus

Attachments

• olym35a.jpg
    olym35a.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 120

roryglasgow

Colors

Shamus,

What color did you paint the timbers on your trestle? I've been looking for something about that shade...

Thanks!

-Rory

billk

Rory - Rubbing alcohol with a little india ink will stain wood close to the color in Shamus' picture.
Bil K