Bridge Pier Project

Rusty Spike

Dec 5, 2003
Mankato, MN
Visit site
I'm always looking for ways to model RR stuff with scrap. These are "scaled" for HO - the final is a mock up, the piers will go elsewhere.

I did note that the joint lines I carved are very large and the coloring doesn't quite capture what I was looking for. Oh well, I just hope to get things a little better each time I try.

Attachments

• BPs1.jpg
    BPs1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 231
  • BPs2.jpg
    BPs2.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 232
  • BPs3.jpg
    BPs3.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 233

jmarksbery

Sep 25, 2002
Butler, Kentucky USA
members.aol.com
:wave: Perhaps the lines may be a little wide but capture at a glance the intent. In old days rock masons did a lot of the rock work and did have wider mortors to compensate for the imperfections. I think it looks just fine. It get the point across. Good work my friend. :thumb: :thumb: Jim

jonno w

May 25, 2004
re bridge piers

Don't hide them, mate, they're splendid. I find spindly detail disappears. Those good, fat, chunky rocks convey plenty of bridge supporting mass. I love 'em:thumb:

F

Fred_M

Those are nice piers, and that nasty boxcar is really dirty, typical UP maintance. :D What are they made from? FRED

Rusty Spike

Dec 5, 2003
Mankato, MN
Visit site
Soft brick - extras from a basement wall that had to go to make room for more trains. It's the very soft brick from way back - cut the blanks on the chop saw, then carved them.

I did tame down the brightness of the joints with some ground up pencil lead and a small paint brush - I'm more satisfied now. I need to carve one more pier that supports the last ballasted deck bridge and one end of the Walther's single track truss kit - hopefully I'll finish the honey do list early in the day and have some time to tinker with that.

Thanks for the kind words. . .

F

Fred_M

Geeze, what you gonna carve next, some old concrete sidewalk? :D I'm now very impressed. :thumb: Carving a brick sounds very hard and tetious. :thumb: FRED

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
make do with whats available

Rusty...I am all for making do with anything that comes to hand I like the brick Sculptures alot One small suggestion weather them with a light Black- alcohol wash lets have a look at them when they are in place

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Well, I think you did a really nice job on those piers. :thumb: Stonework looks excellent. :wave:
Shamus

Rusty Spike

Dec 5, 2003
Mankato, MN
Visit site
These are not modern bricks - you can pound nails in them, cut them with a sawzall, and in this case, carve them with an old jig saw blade. They are softer than soft sandstone.

Jimmy, I did hit the light colored joints with my favorite substance for griminess - the ground up pencil lead in the bottom of the family pencil sharpener - then I gave them a quick "misting" with my flat brown railroad tie weathering spray paint - they are much more subdued now, I'll post some pics later after I get the kids in bed.

I finished the honey-do list = new kitchen sink installed - so I hope to build that last pier yet tonight too.

Rusty Spike

Dec 5, 2003
Mankato, MN
Visit site
I guess I haven't posted what this is all a part of yet. I have the whole basement for my trains - we live in a 130 year old farmhouse - the basement is a little moist and the headroom is low so it's not good for much else (yeah!).

Here are some pics of how things are coming together - this is my 3rd major re-build in 4 years.

Attachments

• BPs5.JPG
    BPs5.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 177
  • BPs6.JPG
    BPs6.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 184
  • BPs7.jpg
    BPs7.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 171