Brick Work

I am painting my new roundhouse and was experimenting with the brick color. I have tried a few things and have come to this. iI would appreciate any comments and tips on how to improve this. Now we will see if this image comes up.

Thanks, Freelancer

Attachments

• brick.jpg
    brick.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 227
Oh ya, I am hoping to install lighting in the roundhouse later, but unfortunately when I put lights in it, the light shines through and makes the wall look funny. Is there an easy way of fixing this problem, I was thinking that maybe a good layer of paint might prevent this but I am not sure.

Also, I am having a hard time thinking of all the things that might go inside the building. Besides the obvious locomotives, what kind of tools and supplies would be inside.

Thanks, Freelancer

cidchase

It's mighty red, Freelancer!! You might tone it down some
for more realism.
You have excellent detail in the mortar joints. How did you keep the red paint out??
I've seen both paint and black paper recommended to make the
walls opaque.
In my depot I'm going to try placing the lighting high as possible
so no bulb or led shows through the windows, only the light.

Thanks for the tip cidchase, I will play with it a little more and try to darken it and weather it down.

I painted the brick red, after it dried I repainted it with watered down grey/black paint so that it would run in between the bricks. I let it sit for a couple of minutes and then used a paper towel to wipe the grey off of the tops of the bricks. I didn't push very hard so the paint in between the bricks stayed.

I am still in favore of using paint on the inside walls to keep the light from shining through, I don't know how I would get paper to stick to the walls too well and if it would look good or not.

Freelancer

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Freelancer,
The red brick wall looks good, now I would use Chalks to weather it, light in colour. As for the inside, paint it black and the light will not show up outside.
Shamus

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
If you cannot see the interior (i.e. windows are "frosted" and the doors are shut), you might consider this tip passed on to me at the local club:

Line the building with tinfoil. Blocks the light except at the windows (where you cut it out of course... ;)) and helps to intensify the light.

I have not yet tried it, but it sounds reasonable for a building with no visible interior.

Andrew

spitfire

Freelancer, one of the things I have noticed about "red" brick is that it's not really red at all - it's more of a brown colour, especially the older it is, because of soot etc.

I like to mix Engine Black with various reds (Daylight Red, Boxcar Red) to get my brick colours. I have no set ratio, which means that each mix is slightly different, giving the buildings variety in colour.

Here's an early (unfinished) shot that shows the amazing variety of shade that you can get with just black and daylight red.

I really like the way you did the mortar!

Val

Attachments

• model03.jpg
    model03.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 171
MasonJar, I like the idea of intensifying the light with tin foil, but I want to be able to see inside. For some reason I have been wanting to do some interior detail. I wonder how effective it would be if I just lined the roof with it. Thanks for the tip, I think that I will try that out.

spitfire, I have never noticed how brown the bricks really are, paying more attention to local buildings it is a lot more apparent. I grew up in a small town with a lot of historical red brick homes, and those bricks were really red. That is where I got the mental set that they were red red.

The only problem I have with mixing colors together is that I can never get that same shade while I paint the structure, so one half looks different than another. I like the difference you have between theindividual buildings, but I don't know if it looks too good to have different colors on one building. Is there any way I can avoid this problem?

Thanks for your help, Freelancer

Shamus, what kind of chalks would I use and where would I be able to find them? Won't the chalk rub off easily?

Freelancer

Will_annand

Originally posted by Freelancer
The only problem I have with mixing colors together is that I can never get that same shade while I paint the structure, so one half looks different than another. I like the difference you have between theindividual buildings, but I don't know if it looks too good to have different colors on one building. Is there any way I can avoid this problem?

When you have the color you want do one side of the building.

Then before you start on the next side, evaluate the paint. If there is enough to do the whole side, then paint it, if not, mix more into what you have. If one whole side of the building is a different color than the another, it will appear to be a shodow/sunlight thing...

Just a thought.

Great idea Will, I guess it will be very unlikely that anyone will ever see all four sides at once and be able to examine them any way. Maybe after I weather the walls it will even things up.

Thanks, Freelancer

spitfire

Originally posted by Freelancer

The only problem I have with mixing colors together is that I can never get that same shade while I paint the structure, so one half looks different than another. I like the difference you have between the individual buildings, but I don't know if it looks too good to have different colors on one building. Is there any way I can avoid this problem?

It's simple - just mix a lot of paint!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

I like to use plastic film canisters (which I get free from the local photo developing store) for this purpose. I mix up about 1/2 a canister at a time which usually is more than enough. The leftover paint stays fresh and becomes the basis for my next mix.

Val

Drew1125

Hi Freelancer!
I think the color of your brickwork is OK, but keep in mind that a roundhouse is usually going to be a building that sees some serious grime & weathering...
I would do a wash of either white, or light gray, & while it's still wet, wipe off the excess with a rag, wiping in downward strokes...this will give you some mortar lines, tone down the color, & give the brick a worn look...when all of that is dry, finish it off with a black wash of India Ink & rubbing alcohol...this will dirty things up nicely!

(p.s. Always mix your washes on the thin side...that way, you can build up to the look you want, without overdoing it)

Pooh Bah
I think you need a nice thick layer of black paint on the inside as a light block, then you can put whatever colours and details you need on top of that.

csxnscale

Did my bridge support like this.
Two concrete pillars with a brick wall inbetween.
The brick wall is brick wall relief sheet painted Polly scale caboose red.
Let dry and the mix 1 part Polly scale aged concrete with one part water and a few drops of dishwasser soap.
Put the wall to be painted on a flat surface and paint this mix on the wall.
After a few minutes you will see small bubbles on the painted wall, caused by the dishwasser soap. Sweep this bubbles with a soft brush to the outside of the relief sheet (keep the brush horizontal).
That is how I did in N-scale and this works for me.
Paul

aau.jpg

jon-monon

If you don't want to use chalks, a dark wash will do wonders for it, and darken the red and it will look fine. I use about an ounce (maybe 2-3 tablesspoons) of cheap black latex paint from a craft store, to a pint or two of water in a spray bottle. After it's mixed up, add 3 or 5 drops of dish soap and mix it in real well. Then you spray it on. Don't be shy, go at it like mad. You can't get too much, because it will run off. Then let it run off and dry naturally. Looks turrible, just turrrrrrable, but once it runs and dries, it will look great. And if for some reason you don't like it, just wash it off with water. If you want it darker, "fix" it with a spray of dullcoat, and do it again. A final coat of dullcoat will make it (or chalks) more durable and has a subtle "muting" effect on either.

You may or may not want to use distilled water, depending what's in your tap water. I get a white residue with my tap water, that gives it a dusty look.