Brick size?

Mexico

Hi,

I'm building a shelf layout it will be 7 feet from the ground and I will have 2 tunnels going through 2 walls. I want to know want is a good size for the brick that will be going around the edge of the tunnels? This is an O gauge set-up.

Thanks for your help

Mexico

Try googling "O scale brick". I got several useful sites.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, it was a no go as I went through 32 pages in Google.

I'm still hoping someone will know. When I get the right size I'm going to make each brick to that size and then cement them around the opening of the tunnels.

Gary S.

Hmm... regular house brick is around 9" x 3" on average although they do come in some other similar sizes.

CMU "cinder" block is around 8" x 16".

But a retaining wall on a tunnel would probably made from larger stone blocks, maybe 12 to 14 inches tall, 24" long. Could be bigger.

So, if you have an O scale ruler, just measure out what looks right to you. If you don't have an O scale ruler....

I model in HO and it is 1/87th scale. It is considered "half-O" so O scale must be around 1/43rd or so. Just do the math of dividng the block size you want by 43... might need to do some decimal conversions and such to make it come out on your ruler.

7 feet? That is up there!

doctorwayne

I'd think so: these must be about that size. The bridge above is single tracked, if that helps to give you a sense of scale.
Grand_River_bridge_at_Cayuga_17.jpg

Wayne

Mexico

Well, now I have something to go by now. I'll cut the hole and then make up some brick and see if it looks right or not.

Thanks for your help on this :)

Mexico

When you get the project going, please post some pics so we can see what you're doing.

OK, Gary I'll do it. :thumb: The project should be fun and completed in about 3 to 4 weeks, so start looking for the pictures about that time.

See you around

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
It is considered "half-O" so O scale must be around 1/43rd or so.

O scale is 1:48, which means that 1/4" = 1 scale foot. So a 1'x2' stone from the real world would be modelled as 1/4"x1/2".

But I think you are right Mexico - it also needs to look right. Let us know what you come up with - pictures always appreciated!

Andrew

Mexico

Hi Guy's,

I finished the shelf and now all I have to do is add the cork and the track and I'm all finished.

Here's some pictures I don't know how to add in the pictures with uploading them.

Anyway this is what I have.
Hope it works.

Attachments

• DSCN1685b.JPG
    DSCN1685b.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCN1700b.JPG
    DSCN1700b.JPG
    15.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN1710b.JPG
    DSCN1710b.JPG
    22.8 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCN1704b.JPG
    DSCN1704b.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 66

Mexico

It worked didn't know if I could do it.

Hope you like my set-up. I just laid the track on the shelf so you could see what it will look like. Then like I said before I have to add the cork and wires going around the track and the track then I'm finished.

It was fun doing it and my wife likes it too. :mrgreen:

Nomad

That is really great:thumb: Great looking tunnell:thumb: My wife would have a fit if I tried that:cry:

Loren

Mexico

Thanks Guys,

I think it looks good and in the main part of the house too, if it was just thrown together then no. My wife has been telling her girl friends about it and 6 of them has said, I didn't know he was still a little boy. Then my wife says to them I'm glad he is I like him that way. :thumb:

When I put the track down how should that be done with little nails or screws? Should I glue the cork down?

Thanks for your help

Nomad

In your case, since it is unlikely you would need to remove the track or cork to change anything, and considering how hard it would be to work on ( need to use a ladder ) I would glue everything down. Cork and track.

Loren