Brewster Buffalo F2A Fiddler-freebee

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Triop, Mar 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Triop

Triop Member

Just started the little project...I'm building it half the size :twisted:

[​IMG]

Not so sure about how to make the landing gear yet...hope I figure it out as I'm going...:roll:

( I hope posting this motivates me to finish the model...) :-D :-D :-D
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ohh Nooo another of those teeny tiny builders!:grin:

It really has to be something in y'all genes! And I don't mean the blue ones!

Oh yeah........... post some pictures..............I can't do the small build thing, but I do get a kick out of seeing it and the final product!

I'm sure you will get some tips on the landing gear!

Ray............. you got a new pal!

john
  3. Triop

Triop Member

Thanx pal :grin:

...I hope I do get some tips...still haven't figured it out...

P.s...It's not that tiny :-D

Pics are coming...working really hard right now ! 8)
  4. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Do you mean how to build the landing gear or attach them to the wings? As for building them, just cut out both sides and glue them back to back. I suggest putting a toothpick or some other small stick in between the halves of the landing gear to make it more solid. Leave a little of the stick coming out the top of the landing gear. Make a small hole in the underside of the wing. Glue the end of the toothpick into that hole. Let us know if you need any more help. That's a nice plane. I have it but haven't built it yet.
  5. Triop

Triop Member

What I don't understand is :

(red) Do I need to cut these out ?

(green) Do I have to fold this open ?

(Yellow) Cut ?

(blue) That's the only part I understand :-D

[​IMG]
  6. BARX2

BARX2 Member

They've given you two sets of wheels in case you want to build it wheels-up (flying) or wheels-down. The wheels attached to the wings on the right are for wheels up and they would be glued onto the black circles on the fuselage. If you want to build it wheels-down you can cut the wheels off the wings and not use them.
  7. Triop

Triop Member

Thank you...that's exactly what I needed to know...

I'm going to use the wheels that are in the wing, fold them (on the green line) and don't use the lose outer-wheelparts...I'm not sure if I'm going to cut the wheels out of the fuselage, because of the big hole it will create...

Hope I'm doing the right thing :roll:
  8. Triop

Triop Member

Cutting is done...it's not visible, but I cut out the landing gear from the wing.
    I'm folding them later and use the wheels of the lose landing gear (not in picture) to make them thicker...

[​IMG]

I already glued the Rear-wings and colored the edges with a marker.
  9. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I'm sorry I couldn't tell you about what to do with the colored areas, because I'm color-blind (don't see colors very much). Have fun.:)
  10. Triop

Triop Member

...I just found out that it's going to be hard (if not impossible :( ) to fold the wings, because the cut is so close to the edge :mad:

[​IMG]

Haha...It's like there is ALWAYS something going wrong (recognizable ? :-D )
  11. JLKasper

JLKasper New Member

Making a nice landing gear setup out of a FG Buffalo requires some ingenuity. There isn't much support for the wings, and it's nice to keep the wheel on to help support the wing. Check out this site, which has a 3 view drawing of the gear:

http://avia.russian.ee/air/usa/brewster_buffalo.php

What you could do is not cut anything out, and mask the gear cover on the wing and the hole in the fuselage with something that would make it appear there is some depth for the opening. You could try some construction paper that's yellow-green to simulate the zinc chromate anti-corrosive primer that's used on aircraft. Drawing some hydraulic lines, bulkhead stringers, and wire cables might enhance the "reality" this reality-challenged model. No pics of a Buffalo I've seen wore this dark blue paint scheme. However, the Buffalo is screaming for some repaints: accurate prewar Navy schemes, the decidedly funky "McClelland" experimental camo scheme from 1940, and, most appropriately, Finland's air force which had the only success the Buff ever enjoyed (there wasn't much chance of engine overheating above the Arctic Circle)
  12. Triop

Triop Member

Thanx for the advice, very inspiring !
  13. furman

furman Member

14. 46rob

46rob Member

here's how the geqar should look --frontal view. i work at he Naval Aviation museum and have seen the real thing.

Attached Files:

15. Triop

Triop Member

thank you...that's a great help !

I must say that everybody here is very helpful and that makes building more fun !
  16. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I haven't built that plane, but I don't think you were supposed to cut out the strut, only the tire. The nice thing is, you can just print it out and try again. I have done that quite a few times!
  17. Triop

Triop Member

I solved the problem :

I glued a green paperstroke from a package of rolling paper (yes, sometimes it helps if you smoke :-D ) on the back of the wings to resemble the space for the landing gear...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm going to do the same thing with the holes in the fuselage.
  18. Triop

Triop Member

Wings are folded and it worked out fine :grin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I noticed that the paper is coming apart in the picture above...have to fix that !
  19. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Very nice. :)
  20. Triop

Triop Member

I found this picture also to be very helpful :

[​IMG]

I also noticed on Fiddlers site that the kit is not a freebee anymore...:cry:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.