Brass

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Well, after receiving an additional $100C from my in-laws for my birthday on Wednesday night, I decided to take the plunge.

This morning I confirmed my reservation (and sent in $300C as a deposit) for an Overland GP40X in the Santa Fe blue/yellow scheme - my first brass locomotive.

While many think this is nuts (and I'm sure my wife would), I thought one brass locomotive would be a nice showpiece for the layout - and it made more sense to have a road unit than my other option, which was the Rock Island C415 (red/yellow).

Since it won't be ready for almost a year, it also gives me plenty of time to chip away at the total cost, a little bit every month.

http://www.railmodel.com/search/picturelink.asp?productid=5454

John Sneed

Nov 15, 2001
Columbia, Mo
Visit site
I have to ask. Why does it take a year for delvery,and if you don't mind my asking,what did it cost? I keep hinting to my wife that I would like a brass engine.She looks at the price and tells to dream on.Oh well. John

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
John, the reason it's gonna take a year is that it's an advance order. Overland's not gonna produce it for a year or so; they do that with almost all of their units so they can see how many they should produce.

My local hobby shop wanted $742US for the unit (that's Overland's MSRP $781 less 5% discount). However, I shopped around and found it at Canadian Model Trains (www.modeltrains.com) for only $640US. I asked about the company on Atlas, and got rave reviews from Canadians and Americans.