Branson Scenic Railway - pics of a GREAT time!

Mar 8, 2003
eddielandreth.boche.net
We spent the week at Branson, Missouri this week, and one of the highlights of the trip was taking a 2-hour ride on the excursion train provided by the Branson Scenic Railway (BSRX). So, here’s a little narrative of the trip along with some photos.

The entire consist was made up I believe of 8 or 9 passenger type cars with the F9 on the head end and a GP30M on the tail end. At the start of the excursion, the F9 leads the way. At the half way point, the GP30M takes over and we go in the same direction we came from, only we’re now being led by the GP30M.

What was really nice was that there were only about 30 or so people on the entire train, so in many of the cars, we were the only ones in there as we moved about exploring the train. Talk about feeling like VIPs!

At the head end of the consist is BSRX #98, an F9. Isn’t it a beautiful sight? Was thrilled to see that an old F unit is still being put to good use.

BSR_F9_01.jpg

Here’s another shot of the head end of the consist, showing the F9 at the tip of the depot spur track waiting to enter the mainline. The main is the former Missouri Pacific main, now owned and maintained by the Missouri & North Arkansas (MNA) and the BSRX operates with a warrant over the MNA trackage using MNA engineers.

BSR_F9_02.jpg

Here’s a pic of the GP30M:

BSR_GP30M_01.jpg

Here’s a pic of me and the Mrs. in one of the dining cars as the train speeds through a rock cut (you can see the slate walls of the cut through the window). We’re having FUN!

BSR_Cut.jpg

And here’s a pic of my whole clan in one of the vista dome cars. There was a roving train employee offering to take pics of families.

BSR_Group.jpg

Here’s a pic of the train heading into 1 of the 2 tunnels on the route.

BSR_Tunnel.jpg

Here’s a pic of the train as it passes over one of the trestles with the valley far below. Was kinda spooky:

BSR_Trestle_2.jpg

Another trestle shot:

BSR_Trestle_3.jpg

And yet another trestle shot:

BSR_Trestle_4.jpg

All in all, a wonderful time. If you ever get to Branson, put this high on your list of things to do.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I didn't get a good look at the dome car, but it looks like it might be an ex Santa Fe Super Chief car. Beautiful Country. I need to retire so I can have the time to travel around the country taking some of these train rides. Nice pics! I wish I was there.

F

Fred_M

I'm glad to here you enjoyed the little train ride down here in god's country. Come back anytime. I'm glad you got the tunnel (south) ride, it's great. Fred