Brand new to nitro, rs4 rtr 3 evo

Discussion in 'RC Onroad Forum' started by TCrox, Jul 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TCrox

TCrox Member

Yeah, I'm just down the road from a HobbyPeople. I plan on spending a lot of money on this, I don't really want to race but I want to go fast! "a high speed servo not torque" what? Do you have a link or can you explain what that means? heh and what's a return spring?

The reason my cover won't fit is because when it hit the curb that front part got bent/moved. Now the holes don't line up. Could I just punch a fe new holes in the body?
  2. redheat

redheat Member

just get the parts dont punch more holes in it. The high speedservo well basically help your wheels move faster had they generally have metal gears to drive it, High torque is used for likr monster trcuks they require more torque to turn those big tires. As far as carb. setting I would suggest you run as rich as possible without hurting performance, when adjusting carb. always start rich to lean.
  3. TCrox

TCrox Member

Have you worked with these alot? Do you know if this is a replaceable part? If so does it come with the bag of spare parts?

http://www.croxautoware.com/images/broken.JPG

I think other then that piece I just need to buy the front end again... basicly just the part that holds the bumper, I think that's all that is bent. The car still moves nice, it hauls f'in ass! But when the battery compartment cover flys off and the attenea is attached to that I'm not taking it out without being able to secure it. I hope it's as easy as it looks.
  4. redheat

redheat Member

Your gonna have to talk to the man at shop , I really cant tell what that is . I'm thinking that it has a screw running from the bottom up to the post,if s othat shouldnt be a problem. Listen get some good hex wrenches pay the extra cash and get the best you can youll be glad you did.
  5. TCrox

TCrox Member

Sorry to spam, testing the image includes...

[​IMG]
  6. TCrox

TCrox Member

So you're saying that the reason for it taking off to the left when it hits 2nd and the tires start to spin a little is because of poor servo settings? It wouldn't have to do with some diff settings or whatever it is that distributes the power? I can run it from dead stop up to 2nd and it'll run straight, it's when I give it the beans off the line or hit 2nd with some good acceleration that it starts to pull.
  7. redheat

redheat Member

well sure traction has alot to do with it but keep in mind that if the servo is not centered and your caster and camber are not true your not gonna run straight. I dont no what kinda diff. adjustments you can make to prevent drifting. are you breaking traction when going into second, i would say that you are ,and if so well the cars gonna go were ever it wants to go.
  8. TCrox

TCrox Member

I sure proved that last night lol After the tires warmed up it was holding much better, but I still managed to bend the chasis. Is the stock chasis kind of a sissy chasis? Is upgrading that going to make a big difference or should I just straighten the original?
  9. redheat

redheat Member

If your like me ,I'm always looking for better parts, I really dont no what chassis upgrades are out there but what ever you can find grab it . Curbs are the worst obsticiles out there no matter what you drive . Try putting 2 pads up front for better protection. Keep the orginal for a spare part. Sounds like you got that motor screaming.
  10. TCrox

TCrox Member

I never thought an RC car could go this fast.. and this is stock out of the box! I'm like a priest at a national cub scouts convention, just can't take my eyes off it. Once I stop running into shlt I'll start taking it apart and upgrading, until then this is too fast as is :)
  11. redheat

redheat Member

Right on man and your just getting start just wait tell you start up grading you'll really flip. I found that church parking lots work for high speed driving just be careful of lamp post they really suck.
  12. TCrox

TCrox Member

yeah, I was running on a nice long strip across the street but it's right next to a 4 lane street.. being in Orange County, CA makes it hard to find open areas. Now that it's gas though it makes it easier to justify driving half an hour to find a place to run, before with the batteries it was a waste. Thanks for the interest in my car! I did notice that after 2 tanks of fuel last night that the air filter was f'ing disgusting, I was losing so much power by the end of the 2nd tank... then factor in the body rubbing because the chasis is bent, I was going pretty slow. How do you get around the air filter getting so nasty? The way the car is set up isn't the greatest for preventing that, the exhaust is blowing air right in the direction of the air filter. Obviously outside the body, but that's still where the engine is getting it's air from. Is there a way to move that air filter? Extend it over to the other side of the car maybe?
  13. TCrox

TCrox Member

And also.. is there something I should be doing to my engine after I get done running for the night? I mean I wipe the inside down and clean out the air filter, but is there some sort of oil or something I should be putting in the engine if it's going to sit for a few days?
  14. redheat

redheat Member

Cool that you care enough to take care of you car. First off the air filter, go purchase about 4or 5 filter elements keep them oiled and stored in a baggie , when one gets dirty remove it from the car pull the dirty filter from the housing put clean filter element from baggie , put dirty element in spare bag. To clean filters use hot water and soap rinse good , reoil after dry. what ever you do make sure that you get as much oil out of the filter element as possible, to much oil well fk things up. Motor- use after run motor oil after you are finished running your car for the day or WD40. This well help to prevent rust , fuel attracts moisture. next after motor stop it is a good idea to rest the piston at the bottom of the cylinder this well keep your cylinder tight. Cars pickup a ton of dirt from the black top as you have found out not to much you can really do about that,you said something about moving your filter ,well they do make tubes that bend in different direction so that the filter can be relocated your LHS should sell them. Nitro blast works good for cleaning along with a paint brush for wiping the parts down. Well hope that helps you , Red
  15. TCrox

TCrox Member

So just take the glow plug off and spray some WD40 down there? and obviously put the glow plug back on...

Yes, that helps a ton! Thank you very much for your time and effort to help out a noob.
  16. redheat

redheat Member

Yea thats all you do then run the piston up and down the cylinder. Trinity monster is a very good fuel ,has rust inhibaters in it. 20%nitro, 12and 16 % oils. Red
  17. TCrox

TCrox Member

Ran a half tank last night on the bent chasis... no control what so ever. That thing was doing donuts as soon as it got any kind of throttle. Could there be more then just the chasis that's messed up? I hit a few things pretty hard the other day, but I don't think the suspension is messed up...
  18. redheat

redheat Member

good chance that if your chassis is bent your gonna end up with handling problems, HPI makes a super chassis that is 3mm thick thats standard for monster trucks, so you no it'll be strong .Part #73914. As far as your suspension goes I'd find it hard to believe that it went unscaved. Does your car come with the threaded alum. shock set-up? If not get them part#72170. It's gonna involve a little time transferring everything to the other chassis but the good thing is you'll no your car inside and out.
  19. TCrox

TCrox Member

Yeah, I didn't think it'd take long before I'd have#@$% near every screw taken off. Gonna be a great weekend. Replace this chasis and the suspension while I'm breaking in whatever buggy I pick up.
  20. redheat

redheat Member

Hey #@$% z happens, just chalk it up as a learning thing. buggie? check your other post.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.