brain storm for g scale

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Scoob...

Welcome back... Hope things are ok with you and your family!

I saw an article wquite some time ago in MR (I think) about "live diesel-electric" (as opposed to "live steam"). That might help you overcome the clutch problem, as you could theoretically run the engine at a constant speed (or nearly), without worrying about diconnecting from the drive when you come to a stop.

Maybe a search at the trains.com Index of Magazines will turn it up.

Alternatively, you could go for on-board battery power. We have a guy at our local club who does these "conversions" so that you do not have to power the track. The throttle is operated by R/C. This power is safe for indoors or out!

Good luck with the project!

Andrew

CNJ

Nov 29, 2003
Western VA
Visit site
Lets take this a step further. The big guys use diesel electric and so will we. Start with an Irvine .20 diesel which we couple to an Astro Flight 05 electric motor. The electric motor will act as a generator. The power produced will have to be run through an electronic regulator to the driving motors of the loco. I wonder if I could fit all of this stuff (which I actually have) into an Aristo RS-3???
Its 1AM......maybe I should go to bed :sleeping: .
Cheers
Len

lkydvl

Sep 10, 2004
Gentlemen,

Have been following this thread as I am in process of doing the same. Can those of you that are working on this project or completed one please update the rest of us? A web site http://www.geocities.com/wahoo_001/ has some good preliminary info but the email address is no longer in use and there have been no updates. Tomsz has completed a loco and has been helping me start my project loco.

In my research I contacted Sullivan Products on the use of their starters as a generator since another person had used one of them for his loco. They told me that while the starter motors would work for theat use they were NOT the best choice as they were designed for low end torque. What is needed is a general purpose motor capable of handling 90-100 watts to ne able to deliver the volts and amps we need in large scale.

They recommended a review of the specifications and power/volts/amps curve for the motors to see which delivers what you need at an RPM that is suitable for the motor. And then use that to determine the gearing needed for the engine.

It all makes more sense. By doing so we can limit undue starin on the motor/ generator and rev the engine only to the speed needed. That limits the strain and wear on the engine ensuring longer life and with lower revs a better sound.

I am researching motors now and will post what I can locate that should be suitable.

Andre'