Bowser USRA Lt Mikado, Deluxe Kit (Lord help me)

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
Well, it came today.
Whomever it was who said that it was not a "Shake the box" kit was not pulling my leg. However, after looking over the instructions carefully, I can do this fairly easily.
It will take some time, and I know I will run across a few hang ups. Whoever said that the valve gear is already assembled with the deluxe kits, not in this kit, they aren't.
I am sure that I will asking for assistance here and there, but in the end I will have one gorgeous model.

My wife has the camera at some work party, so before I begin assembly I will take pics. I will be adding to this thread over the course of the entire assembly, all the way up to to decals (or them putting the self hugging smoking jacket on me).
Stay tuned...

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
As an aside, Standard Hobby gets 2 thumbs up from me.
They shipped it fast, and gave me a check, because I rounded the numbers up for shipping and handling after speaking to someone there. I sent my order via snail mail.
When I called to check the status of the order they were able to look it up quickly, and offered some construction advice about the product (Mainly about the valve gear).
I will definately order from them again, as soon as I can afford anything.
Their liquidation list is impressive, great prices (I am talking about DCC w/sound locos selling for 30% of normal retail. If anyone wants to see it, I will scan it and add it as a photo here.

D.R.Rosser

Apr 13, 2007
The advice on keeping clear in your mind that there is a right and a left valve gear assembly is important, very important! Years ago I built the Decapod and it still runs fine, loud, heavy and reliable. I do recall that I had a problem with the valve gear binding when I first tried it. I called the store in Montoursville,Pa. and a gentleman there gave me advice on using two needlenose pliers to hold and bend one of the links so that it cleared the problem area. They build and sell the kits, and they were a big help. Just before I built the Decapod, I had completed an MDC kit of the three truck Shay. Maybe that is why the Bowser kit seemed easier. Dave

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
The first few pics are in...
I don't know that I will be able to start building before Monday, but here is what came in the box...
Strike that... It would appear that I can not upload photos. I keep getting a database error.
I will try again in a little bit.

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 18

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
I turn to the Gauge frequently for advice and to share projects, but you may also find some kindred steam-spirits here:

Yardbird Trains

It's a Yahoo group so you'll need to join it. Any unanswered questions here can also be shared there for a bit more help (and vice versa!)

Looking forward to the build. Just take it slow and steady and you will be rewarded with a fine-looking and excellent running locomotive.