Borg Rogue Ship

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by panzer, Aug 5, 2007.

1. panzer

panzer Member

After I returned from my holiday in Egypt, I used the last week before I have to go back to work to make another Star Trek Model, the "Borg Rogue Ship" by Gearz, also known as "Renegade Borg Ship".

I like this design very much. It's very different to all other Trek ships because of its asymmertrical design:

[​IMG]
    studio model

[​IMG]
    3D graphic from instructions

It appears in the season 5/6 cliffhanger episode "Descent" and is used by Borg renegades controlled by the android Lore, Data's "evil brother".

Later the studio model was re-used for the last Voyager episod "Scorpion" as a regular Borg ship.
  2. panzer

panzer Member

The instructions, consisting of text and graphics, are very good.

In opposition to what is recommended in the instructions, I printed the spacers for the hull textures directly on 200g/sqm cardboard. In my opinion, that's enough for a spatial effect. The spacer's edges were painted with a grey felt tip pen. For the other parts I used 160g/sqm.

Part 1:

[​IMG]

For later assembly, one side must remain open. In the instructions Gearz wrote about possible problems with special spacers, but because of the use af thinner cardboard, there were none. But if someone uses thicker cardboard for the spacers, he should do as recommended.

For the simple version one should use thicker cardboard than 160g/sqm for stability reasons.
  3. panzer

panzer Member

For part 2 I'd like to show my method of making the hull resesses. There are always two matching pages, one for the spacers and one for the textures, e. g. for the parts 2, 10 und 13:

[​IMG]

Fist the parts must be cut out as exactly as possible along the rectangle frame, then the spacers along the outer edge of the black frame. While painting the edge I was a little careless because the white surface is not visible when the parts are attached:

[​IMG]

Then the textures and spacers must be glued together matching each other. Th finshed spacers must be cut out along the dotted lines:

[​IMG]

Th preparation of the hull part:

[​IMG]

The finished main hull, consisting of the parts 1 und 2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know that there are some non-dsl users, so I will use smaller pics for the following posts.
  4. panzer

panzer Member

Sorry for the quality of some pics, my camera is not the best one for macro shots...

Parts 3 to 5:

[​IMG]

And the same parts attached to the main hull. While assembling it I noted that the "flap" on part 1 should remain open until the main hull is completed. That makes assembly easier:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. panzer

panzer Member

There is one thing I've learned while assembling the next parts: Follow the designer's recommendations! :mrgreen: There are two "problem children" concerning the hull recesses of the "side car". If you want to build this, do as Gearz says and use the textures without spacers, no matter what cardboard you use! The edge doesn't look really good...

[​IMG]
    From left to right: Engine boom and arm, side car and the three parts for the pontoon
  6. panzer

panzer Member

The Textures for the hull recesses are really great, but unfortunately my camera is not able to show that, but for the normal use as a "snap shot camera" it's ok. The fine hull painting is not visible on my pics as well, so here are a few examples which I've copied directly from the sheets to give some impressions of Gearz' nice work:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    recesses

[​IMG]
    hull
  7. panzer

panzer Member

So, here are some pics of the finished model from different angles. The photos don't show that, but it's a real beauty and a great addition to the Star Trek Universe, especially because of its unique shape.

It was real fun to build. In my opinion, it's difficulty level is even suitable for beginners.

Thank you very much for designing this, Gearz!

BTW: What happended to the model download? It was available here in the "Parts Bin", section "Movies And TV Shows", but now it seems to be gone. Only the thread itself is still there, but no attachments. It would be a shame if this nice model is gone forever...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Beautiful work! Very nice job on this one!
    I have always liked this one too. I think it is some of Gearz best work!
    I am not sure but the attachment might have been lost when we moved servers.
    Hopefully he can reload this model for everyone.
    I shall try to get in contact with him.

Russell
  9. afcgooners

afcgooners New Member

Thats a pretty cool ship. The studio model looks impossible to recreate in paper but it is actually a good model and I agree its good for beginners. I find ships pretty hard due to allt he curves!
  10. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Borg Rogue Re-upload

As pointed out to me by Panzer, and I must agree, Gearz had shared the model here with everyone so replacing the lost archive does not interfere with copyright laws.
    So without further delay, here is the zip with the parts and instructions.
    Each one is a separate zip file so unzip them both to the same folder.
    I had to split the model in two due to size constraints.

Enjoy,
    Russell

Attached Files:

11. panzer

panzer Member

Diplay stand, anyone?

Amazyah,

thanks for uploading the files! I've made a simple display stand for those who want to build the model.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the file:

Attached Files:

12. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

A very nice addition to the model!:thumb:
    Thank you, panzer!

Russell
  13. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Great build up and a great model. I've just downloaded it and look forward to having a go.

The only thing I would say is that it's maybe a tad too light in colour but that could easily be remedied by printing onto a grey cardstock so it's no big deal.

Great, great GREAT!
  14. Nexus9

Nexus9 Member

Hey Panzer, another great build. Keep this up, and you might have to change your username to Trek. Thanks for the stand.
  15. panzer

panzer Member

Again thank you! I think the designer Gearz will also be happy about your posts when he will have some more time to be active here again.

I especially love the textures of the Borg style "window" parts. Someone at German kartonbau.de forum even had the idea of an illuminated variant. :inw: I'm really looking forward to this!

BTW: Hi Skip! Good to see you back here also! :wave:
  16. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Thanks buddy. I like it here. LOL.