Borg Concept Art

ARMORMAN

FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE
Oct 2, 2009
NW Indiana
armorman.deviantart.com
So...my daughter who is going to The American Academy of Art asked me if I would submit an illustration for the Blick SciFi/Fantasy art contest (she wants the First Prize Gift Card). I was in the middle of some client work and said."Sure, when is the art due?"

"Monday."

It's Friday afternoon.

So I dig through my sketches, and find some concept art for a Star Trek short story focused on the Borg that I tried to submit to IDW (no response whatsoever) and decide to go berserk painting up the sketch to a finished piece.

Got it done and submitted....nightmare and then the mounting and framing were even more fun... Didn't win....oh well.

Attachments

• borg body 2 comparison.jpg
    borg body 2 comparison.jpg
    517.2 KB · Views: 25

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
WOW! That's some impressive artwork! Too bad it did not won. I agree, it has a strong Gigeresque feel to it, combined with some Manga style. It does not necessarily need to be Borg-related, it also could be part of an original SciFi story. Thank you very much for showing us this piece. :Bravo:

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
man that is an ''ALIEN borg'' scary mofo! looks like a tos transporter back there too, wouldn't mind knowing what the story is, if you can share it...

Reactions: ARMORMAN

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
That's cool that she could submit your work. How is she doing anyways? It neat to see her follow your path. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Everyone struggles with math. Once she starts seeing math in 3 dimensions in her mind, applied, because in abstract it seems fruitless, it will come to her. The main thing with all kinds of equations is to find an applied use. Then the whole of math, Algebra, Trigonometry, etc. unfolds. I think that it's more the way it's taught than the students, personally. :)

subnuke

Banned
Nov 18, 2007
The key to learning, especially math, is problem solving. Puzzles are great for this. Forming shapes from scratch instead of using kit templates is a great way to learn. In time, this will lead to the discovery of practical uses of math.

Reactions: Sky Seeker

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Polar to rectangular formulas are great because you can use a compass to do it.

The numbers 3,4,5, of equal values (i.e. inches), drawn in lines, can always forms a perfect right sided triangle.

Using a 12" ruler, (If you have a compass, use that to make the arcs), select the corner which will be your zero point. Measure a straight line 5 inches long, straight ahead of you. Now, swing your ruler to your right, (Keep the zero point corner where it is, and make an big arc with the pencil at the 4 inch mark, closer to the end of the 5 inch line. Take the zero point corner of your ruler, place it at the other end of the 5 inch line, and swing the from the zero reference point on the ruler, with the pencil at the 3 inch mark, till it intersects the arc that was 4 inches away from the origin point. Connect the intersection of the arcs back to the Origin, and connect the same intersection to the end of the 5 inch line. You will now have a perfect right sided triangle......

This is how foundations of buildings in the middle of nowhere can be started. I had a carpenter helping me put up my Barn, (had to let him go eventually because he was an idiot). After we finished cementing all the Sonotubes, we came back and put the floor joists in place. He could not figure out how to start the "rectangular formation. The Sonotubes where 8" inches in diameter. I said start in the center of the corner Sonotube. He looked at me befuddled, and I then showed him the 3,4,5, rule. I also lowered his pay. I had to teach him how to make a zoning approved foundation. He should have paid me!! :)

triangle-3-4-5-leg.jpg

p.s., those cardboard Sonotubes can make great speakers cabinets if you calculate the Fs of the Full range speaker your using (or Woofer), and cut it to 1/4 that length. Seal the top, cut a slot on the bottom, seal the bottom, and voila, instant speaker. The sub-woofer Sonotube speakers below go down to 18 Hz!!

18 Hz subwoofers.jpg

Lee Clifton

Wisdom and Kindness, A Zealot Sage
Oct 7, 2015
Really nice artwork! Impressive, most impressive.... in the words of Darth Vader. I gave up on contests years ago. Always got ticked off when I didn't win anything. I just enjoy doing the artwork for myself. Thats why when I design action figure displays I do it for myself. If someones to buy it great. Learned many years ago airbrushing t-shirts that most of the time you can't please people with something custom....mainly because they don't know what they want, or can't explain what they want. OK I'm off the soapbox. It is a really nice piece of artwork. And that is from a retired commercial artist, and former art teacher.

ARMORMAN

FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE
Oct 2, 2009
NW Indiana
armorman.deviantart.com
Forgotten-145862602
I started to work on some personal pieces again..."A forgotten world with decaying structures..."

So anyway, I showed thus guy a drawing I'm currently working on and he pointed to a part of a structure and said,"That needs to be bigger."

I'm thinking,"When did he get to my world and how did he find that structure?"

Anyway, here's a link to another piece in the "Forgotten" series:
http://armorman.deviantart.com/art/Forgotten-145862602
Forgotten-145862602

Reactions: Famous Dave