booster

jimbogibbo

Jan 4, 2006
is their such a thing as a booster unit that can give you full power to more than one train running on the same track.?????:cry: i am trying to run three trains on one track , and it seems as if they just dont have the power, or speed.:wave:

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Are you using DC or DCC? Small power packs, like those that come with most train sets, don't have much extra power, so when you add more locos, everything gets slower and slower. A better quality power pack will run multiple trains with ease: you'll need to determine the maximum number of locos that you'd be likely to run at one time, then get one with sufficient power. I use a MRC Controlmaster 20, and have run over a dozen locos at once, with no real difference in their speed as the number of units was increased. Normally, four locos on a train is the most that's required, although, of course, the weight of the train will increase the power required.
If you're running DCC, I believe that there are booster units available, but beyond that, I'll have to defer to Members more knowledgeable in that field.

Wayne

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
For a DC (conventional) layout you shouldn't add power packs together. You are better off to buy a larger one. A larger one will probably have better quality electrics and a few other features. The old pack can be used for switch machines or lights.