Bombardier bi-levels on eastern commuter service

csxnscale

I wonder are Bombardier bi-levels seen on eastern commuter railroads.
Eathern has nice sets of these in N-scale, but I think they are all western or Canadian.
Am I missing something ?
Paul

Agatheron

They're definitely used in the Toronto cooridor (GO Train), which I suppose is Eastern, but it is Canadian as well.

They seem to be in use in Dallas (TRE)... and Florida (TriRail)... I can't get into the Bombardier site to confirm if there are any other Northeastern US customers.

Agatheron

I got into the Bombardier site. Despite being Canadian, much of their rail stuff is used extensively in Europe. Their Bi-Level coaches are used in North America only though...

In terms of "East" Toronto's GO Transit and Florida's Tri-rail are the only ones that make use of it. Curiously enough in an almost identical colour-scheme (green & white), and same locomotives too... Dallas, and the west coast from California to British Columbia make heavy use of these...

cpr_paul

I think, though I am by no means certain, that the high-level platforms employed by most (if not all) Center-City stations in the Northeast corridor would preclude the use of the Bombardier Bi-levels, which can only utilize low-level platforms. I am not sure if overhead catenary also might limit their use (are they taller than Amtrak's Superliner's?). I believe that the LIRR is getting bi-level coaches soon, but I don't think they are Bombardier...

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
I was thinking the reason they are not used in the east particularly the northeast is clearance problems as cpr_paul commented. I would assume that tunnel clearances maybe a bigger problem that catenary and platform clearances. Many of the tunnels in New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Washington are very tight with the equipment that is currently running in them now.

cpr_paul

Originally posted by acsxfan1
VRE uses them on their Fredericksburg to Union Station run .. i believe

According to the VRE website, their new bi-levels are from Kawasaki.

kawasakismall.jpg

They look nice!

VRE also has some ex-Metra gallery cars...

acsxfan1

Thats true .. the Kawasaki cars run on both MARC and VRE .. but VRE is also leasing some Bombardier Sounder sets ..

cpr_paul

Originally posted by acsxfan1
Thats true .. the Kawasaki cars run on both MARC and VRE .. but VRE is also leasing some Bombardier Sounder sets ..

I stand corrected! Sorry acsxfan1, I didn't delve deep enough into the VRE's website to find out this:

Fondly known as the “Sounder” or “Sea World” cars, the Bombardier trains are easy to spot, with their bright blue and turquoise waves painted along the sides. These trains are VRE’s short-term solution to record-breaking passenger loads; the three train sets (16 cars and two locomotives) are actually leased from Sound Transit in Seattle, Wash.

Commuters have found a lot to love about the bi-level Sounder trains, which feature the latest in seat design and comfort. There is a restroom in every car, and seating is a real potpourri of options, with facing seats, individual seats, fold-down seats and seats with tables. Additionally, the Sounder trains have a low, wide entry level that allow two people at a time, making boarding and exiting much easier and faster. Most notably, passengers will see that all doors automatically open and the cars "flood load" from the center, meaning that the trains can be filled or emptied in one third of the time that it takes in the older trains. The coaches feature high back seats with cupholders, luggage racks and surge protected outlets for computers.

VRE expects to use the leased cars for 18 to 24 months, a relatively short term in "commuter rail time."

acsxfan1

No problem ..

I used to ride the Kawasaki cars on MARC until I started work closer to home . they are sweet riding .. but do tend to "sway" a little ....

Gary Pfeil

Metronorth? Ah, I was not replying because I only knew about ex NYC trackage, which definately doesn't have the clearance for these. That's why the NYC never had dome cars. ex Pennsy track coming into New York thru the tunnel had the same problem. But I don't know about the rest of the Northeast.

Pooh Bah
platforms

While most of the platforms that GO Transit uses are low, just above rail height, they have added a lot of higher platforms sections with ramps for the "accessibility" cars. These are about half a car long. One door in each train is designated accesible and the conductor fits a little ramp between the doorsill and the platform for wheelchair access. I don't know if this is as high as a high platform. The doors on the accessible cars don't have a post in the middle of the doorway. The newer accessible cars (25xx series) have a washroom on the lower floor, instaed of on the mezzanine level. The cab cars have accessible doors as well, but I've never seen a ramp in them. Cab cars have a cab where the washroom is on the normal coaches.