Bomarc Project

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by sdk2knbk, Jun 17, 2007.

1. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Since I keep hitting snags on my Boeing 307, I decided to put a little more time into another Boeing design I've been working on, the IM-99 Bomarc. First pic, the latest version of the Bomarc-A.

Scott K.
  2. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Ever had a model you just couldn't do anything right on? The night I built this one, I couldn't do anything right. I mounted the spine to the wings backwards three times!:mad: Oh, well. This one is the CIM-99 Bomarc-B. (C-IM for the Canadian version.)

Scott K.
  3. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Both, with a cube for scale. The screw up on the Canadian version really shows in the pix. More color schemes to follow, eventually (US -B in grey, Canadian -B in Black, US -A in white, etc...)

Scott K.
  4. Texman

Texman Guest

Very cool Scott. Back home, there was a Bomarc sitting outside the Texas Refinery Corporation recreation ranch. Had quite a few planes and cars, even a ship. If memory serves correctly, they even had a hound dog missile out front. You have captured the lines perfectly.

Ray
  5. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Thanks, Ray. I'm glad somebody likes these, anyway. I had hoped to take a shot at selling them, but the silence has been deafening....

Scott K.
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Sorry Scott............... I've been watching, but have been looking for plans and did not comment.

I like em! Keep at it!

john
  7. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

I'd be interested. They look great. How accurate is the launcher?
  8. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

This is a great subject, especially for a 1:72 diorama.

Nice work!
    If you are selling, I'll be buying!!
    Jim
  9. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

At the moment, not very. I just threw it together quickly to give myself something to pose the models on. It was inspired by the simple launcher included with a resin kit of the -B that I used images of for reference. It's vaguely similar to the one on display at the US Air Force Museum.

Thanks, John and Jim.

I see from looking over my references that I mislabeled the Canadian version. It should just be IM-99B. The CIM comes from the CIM-10A and B that replaced the IM-99 designation. Oops.

Any particular color schemes anyone wants to see?

Scott K.
  10. putzes

putzes New Member

Scott,

nice job - I like especially the one in Canadian livery!

If you are interested in a more detailed launcher have a quick look at this build of the Wilhelmshavener Bomarc. The model is, as usual for WHV, in 1/50.

Both the tractor and the laucher are pretty good detailed.

Cheers, Old Rutz
  11. B-Manic

I like the RCAF livery, although seeing it in more modern 'low-viz' markings would be cool.
  12. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Thanks Rutz, that will help. It does raise one question, though. In one of my references, the ramjets are described as basically 3 sheet metal cones/sections. The picture I have seem to back this up. But the WHV model has what look to me like later, or at least different model Marquardt ramjets. I'll have to look over my picture sets more. The -B was described as being more streamlined, maybe the engines on it are the same as on the WHV model, but with streamlined fairings.

Scott K.
  13. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

A new (to me, anyway) reference page that I read, says that the CAF 446 marked Bomarc I copied was never a "real" missile. Apparently it's just an empty display piece put together from spare parts. Hmmm... "Low-viz" markings? I don't think any lasted long enough for that, but so what. I guess I could make a 'what-if?' version using low-viz anyway.

Good reference and interesting ideas, keep 'em coming, guys!

Scott K.
  14. B-Manic

RCAF 446 BOMARC Markings
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

That image is one of the ones I've been using, but Thanks, anyway.

Scott K.