Boeing X-51A Waverider

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by TheHeebrewHammer, Jun 10, 2009.

1. TheHeebrewHammer

TheHeebrewHammer New Member

The Boeing X-51 is a scramjet demonstration vehicle for hypersonic (Mach 7, around 8,050 km/h) flight testing. The X-51A WaveRider program is a consortium of the US Air Force, DARPA, NASA, Boeing and Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne. The program is managed by the Propulsion Directorate within the United States Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL).

The X-51 is a descendant of earlier efforts including the Advanced Rapid Response Missile Demonstrator and the liquid hydrocarbon-fuelled scramjet engine developed under the USAF’s HyTech program. The scramjet flight test vehicle was designated X-51 on 27 September 2005.

The X-51 is carried aloft by a B-52 bomber and then launched with the aid of a solid rocket booster. The first flight of the X-51 is expected in 2009. DARPA had viewed X-51 as a stepping stone to Blackswift,[3] a planned hypersonic demonstrator that was canceled in October 2008

In 2009 a total of 4 test flights are scheduled. The first flight of the X-51A is targeted for October 27, 2009 and Boeing has proposed to the Air Force Research Laboratory to extend the test flights from four to six.

Aviation Week article.
    http://tinyurl.com/mgac42

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Static model of the X-51
    [​IMG]

A pic of the model of the booster is attached.

Attached Files:

• x51.jpg
      x51.jpg
      File size:
      10.9 KB
      Views:
  2. piginapoke

piginapoke Member

I'm also interested in modelling or scratch building the X planes. There aren't many of them around, given that we are up to X-53.

When I've got some more experience, particularly with modelling software, then I might just give it a go!

Nice pictures. The full view of the model looks computer generated or is just me?
  3. TheHeebrewHammer

TheHeebrewHammer New Member

Those first two pics are computer generated. But there should be actual flights some time later in 2009.