Boeing Model 307 Stratoliner

S

sdk2knbk

Interesting drawing, Bob. It shows the relative proportions I ended up with between the two models I built, but the wingspan has me a bit confused. The 307's is listed at 107' (32.61m), and the B-17 at 103' 10" (31.65m). Now I wonder how I ended up with a shorter span on my 307? I'll have to dig into my references some more.

Scott K.

-Jim G

It kind of makes me wonder if someone typing a spec sheet transliterated a 1 into a 7. Might it be that the 307's wingspan is supposed to be 101 feet instead of 107 feet?

S

sdk2knbk

I really shouldn't try to answer a post when I'm that tired. After I signed off last night, I physically compared the two models. I'm not sure where I got the idea that the wingspan on my 307 model was so much shorter than the B-17, because it isn't! Ah, fatigue, a wonderful thing...

Scott K.

S

sdk2knbk

Finally, An Update!

I see it's been longer than I thought. Anyway, more progress at last. I ran into some problems on my revised test build, and lost interest for a while. Then, I lost the whole project (along with many others) in my disk crash last October.

After months of being distracted by other projects, I finally got back to this one. I had to recreate it all from scratch. Oh, well, at least I was able to avoid some (but not all, unfortunately), of the errors I made the first time. This time, I built it in 1/72 rather than 1/48, to save space. I "cheated" and made it wheels-up, to save time. I'll probably add proper gear later. As it stands now, the model still needs engine exhausts, antennas, and the various scoops and intakes (not to mention some color, but that'll come later).

Thanks again to John Dell for the engines and reference materials, a big help!

Scott K.

Attachments

• Models 014a.jpg
    Models 014a.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Models 015a.jpg
    Models 015a.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 35

col. kurtz

looks really good..could someone help out woth a u.k. stockist of metallic card that yuo can print on with a normal hp deskjet printer ? :)

NULLMOON

ive tried a few without sucsesss there all either too thick or to flimsy and the inkjet wont touch none of them canfords "frosted silver" is the only one thats worked for me i printed ralph currels r101 on it a sprayed it with sealant before touching it aparently there is a silver card for inkjets but it expensive

John Dell

I was wondering how this project was going. I see it is going very well! I'm looking forward to seeing more. I've been working on perfecting the various B-17 noses. Almost there. I have to get my B-24H done for the convention though. Let me know if there is anyhting else I may be of help with.

S

sdk2knbk

I was wondering how this project was going. I see it is going very well! I'm looking forward to seeing more. I've been working on perfecting the various B-17 noses. Almost there. I have to get my B-24H done for the convention though. Let me know if there is anyhting else I may be of help with.
Thanks John. I'll let you know. Let me say thanks again for the engines, they're a big help!

Scott K.

4ps

Beoing 307 , like Martin 319 or Beoing 314, reflected both the elegant style of air travel in 1930s and the technology advance at that time.

unfortunately, it is not as success as DC-4. However, the failure in commercial will not obscure our affection to that beautiful aircraft!

The model is so great!

I have some inner photos, hope those photos could be helpful!

PS after this project, will u plan to build Beoing 377 (B-29 could be reference)? :mrgreen::thumb:

Attachments

• 0369286.jpg
    0369286.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 39
  • berth.jpg
    berth.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 33
  • galley.jpg
    galley.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 28
  • looking%20aft.jpg
    looking%20aft.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 35
  • new%20compartment.jpg
    new%20compartment.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 27
  • powder%20room.jpg
    powder%20room.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 35
S

sdk2knbk

Thanks 4ps, glad you like it. I have seen those pictures before, though. I was working on a test build of the larger (~1/48 scale), more detailed version, and have been wondering if I have the nerve to attempt an interior for it. Maybe later. No pix of that one to show yet, for various reasons, I've been unable to cut any paper at all for the past 3 weeks or so :curse:. Hopefully soon.

Scott K.

B

Bionic Modeler

Wow! I would love to use some of my Redriver Chrome paper on this one. Is this going to be released ? for download, kit or what?

S

sdk2knbk

I'd like to offer it for sale, eventually, if I can ever get the darn thing finished! I still have a couple of small fit issues to deal with, and I need to decide how much detail is enough. Not to mention the Dreaded Instruction Sheet!

Scott K.

(I might need a Beta builder who can afford the RR paper, though.)

racc00n

Super job. I, too, would like to see the finished version. In 1966 I was privileged to see one of the three B-307's which were based in Saigon. Somewhere in my archives I believe I have a photo or two (taken through a fence!) If I can find them, I will put them up. These planes were used as courier aircraft between the South and the North during the war, and were the only aircraft so sanctioned. BTW, if I recall correctly the "boat" called the "Cosmic Muffin" actually began life as Howard Hughes' airplane.

Bhelliom

Has anyone heard anything about this one lately? Looks like sdk2knbk isn't here anymore.

Bhelliom
That post was actually a bit of a joke. Sdk2knbk was me, before "the troubles" got my account deleted. I just wanted to see if there was still interest here.

Sorry no posts on it for a while. I haven't gotten much done on the interior yet, but I think you'll like what has been done.

Thanks, John!

Scott K.

Attachments

• 307 Tease.JPG
    307 Tease.JPG
    100.4 KB · Views: 17