Boeing Clipper

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by barry, Mar 2, 2006.

1. diamondback

diamondback Member

Couldn't have been a 314, only twelve were built and all were either sunk or scrapped. I've personally researched the records, hoping one had survived somewhere, but no luck. Maybe a Martin Mars twin-tail?

Did it look kinda like this?
    http://www.vectorsite.net/avmars.html#m6 (Scroll down 'til you see the photo of Caroline Mars )
  2. diamondback

diamondback Member

Couldn't have been a 314, only twelve were built and all were either sunk or scrapped. I've personally researched the records, hoping one had survived somewhere, but no luck. Maybe a Martin Mars twin-tail?

Did it look kinda like this?
    http://www.vectorsite.net/avmars.html#m6 (Scroll down 'til you see the photo of Caroline Mars )
  3. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Lots of good photos of the Mars fire bomber in action here; www.pbase.com/jmrickerby/firebig

If not the Mars, could it have been the Do-24ATT? A surviving Dornier DO-24 was modified with retractable landing gear and three P&W PTA-45B turboprops which replaced the original BMW radials (which confused me when I first saw it locally.) It was originally built in 1944, and served after the war in the Spanish navy, and later as a Dornier testbed. Since 2004, it's been flying for UNICEF, to promote education and awareness for the children of the world, usually with the designer's grandson at the controls! I took some nice shots of it when it was here, and it's on my "some day" design list.

Scott K.
  4. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Lots of good photos of the Mars fire bomber in action here; www.pbase.com/jmrickerby/firebig

If not the Mars, could it have been the Do-24ATT? A surviving Dornier DO-24 was modified with retractable landing gear and three P&W PTA-45B turboprops which replaced the original BMW radials (which confused me when I first saw it locally.) It was originally built in 1944, and served after the war in the Spanish navy, and later as a Dornier testbed. Since 2004, it's been flying for UNICEF, to promote education and awareness for the children of the world, usually with the designer's grandson at the controls! I took some nice shots of it when it was here, and it's on my "some day" design list.

Scott K.

Attached Files:

5. barry

barry Active Member

Flying Boat

Hi Lizzie

It's a nice thought I was going to say "as long as it's not too far" but then I remembered that everything is probably far where you live. Unlike me the next area is never more than 10 miles if that.

At least it brought some interesting candidates for modelling especially that big red Mars fire bomber one day.

best regards
  6. barry

barry Active Member

Flying Boat

Hi Lizzie

It's a nice thought I was going to say "as long as it's not too far" but then I remembered that everything is probably far where you live. Unlike me the next area is never more than 10 miles if that.

At least it brought some interesting candidates for modelling especially that big red Mars fire bomber one day.

best regards
  7. barry

barry Active Member

what you end up with

Hi All

well even the cockpit fitted (even if it should be less angular in profile it will do for me) armed once again with Gil's trick put enough PVA on the edges and the flaps moulded it to shape and put it in the microwave for 20 seconds hadens off a treat.

[​IMG]

Thanks Will do you end up with a load of junk like this not including the pile in the dustbin ? Somehow I suspect you are a lot tidier than me looking at your drawings. I kept the battered one to check off new bits for rough size amazing how "improving" something makes a right mess of it.

[​IMG]
  8. barry

barry Active Member

what you end up with

Hi All

well even the cockpit fitted (even if it should be less angular in profile it will do for me) armed once again with Gil's trick put enough PVA on the edges and the flaps moulded it to shape and put it in the microwave for 20 seconds hadens off a treat.

[​IMG]

Thanks Will do you end up with a load of junk like this not including the pile in the dustbin ? Somehow I suspect you are a lot tidier than me looking at your drawings. I kept the battered one to check off new bits for rough size amazing how "improving" something makes a right mess of it.

[​IMG]
  9. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Wotcher, bazzer!:)

I do admire your determination, mate, I really do! Clearly, it does pay off as the latest version has come out so very well.

Have you updated the files anywhere so we can try to build this latest version?

You might consider what you have there as junk, but I think it's a gem of a design.

Never give up, mate, it truly is worth all the effort.

Cheers!
    Jim
  10. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Wotcher, bazzer!:)

I do admire your determination, mate, I really do! Clearly, it does pay off as the latest version has come out so very well.

Have you updated the files anywhere so we can try to build this latest version?

You might consider what you have there as junk, but I think it's a gem of a design.

Never give up, mate, it truly is worth all the effort.

Cheers!
    Jim
  11. airbob

airbob Member

Boeing 314 build....

Barry,
    I still have little skeletons of Boeing 707 and KC-135 fuselage sections laying around as you can from this halloween fright shot of my storage desk!!!:-o :-o :-o :shock: :shock: :shock: :p :p :p I's just the price of progress!!! I love the mess!,it's where new things comeChaos!!!:razz:

Attached Files:

12. airbob

airbob Member

Boeing 314 build....

Barry,
    I still have little skeletons of Boeing 707 and KC-135 fuselage sections laying around as you can from this halloween fright shot of my storage desk!!!:-o :-o :-o :shock: :shock: :shock: :p :p :p I's just the price of progress!!! I love the mess!,it's where new things comeChaos!!!:razz:
  13. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Ohh, The Horror, The Horror.

Rick
  14. rickstef

rickstef Guest

Ohh, The Horror, The Horror.

Rick
  15. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Me tidy?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You have no idea the magnitude of the mess I call a room. My files are similarly disorganized. I have a definate case of A.D.D. (don't tell the FAA they'll yank my license:twisted: ) I get in the middle of something and see someting else that I need to do and start doing that without finishing what I originally started out to do. Hence the mess I made with releasing my corsair too early. I admire your work since I know you've been working on a couple of ships inbetween. Me I took a break for airwolf and a couple tangents on the F-15 and F-18 (got hardly anything done though) and if I get the corsair done by years end it will have been a 2 and a half year project. I think you manage pretty well.
  16. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Me tidy?:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You have no idea the magnitude of the mess I call a room. My files are similarly disorganized. I have a definate case of A.D.D. (don't tell the FAA they'll yank my license:twisted: ) I get in the middle of something and see someting else that I need to do and start doing that without finishing what I originally started out to do. Hence the mess I made with releasing my corsair too early. I admire your work since I know you've been working on a couple of ships inbetween. Me I took a break for airwolf and a couple tangents on the F-15 and F-18 (got hardly anything done though) and if I get the corsair done by years end it will have been a 2 and a half year project. I think you manage pretty well.
  17. shrike

shrike Guest

It's not an untidy mess, it's the beginnings of a very detailed diorama of the boneyard down at Davis Monthan AFB<G>
  18. shrike

shrike Guest

It's not an untidy mess, it's the beginnings of a very detailed diorama of the boneyard down at Davis Monthan AFB<G>
  19. Gil

Gil Active Member

Tidyness & Mysticism

Clean-up usually occurs when I finally can't find anything anymore and ruefully realize that it has to be done. I have a recycled cutoff plastic bottle bottom full of spoked wheel remnants that I call the "wheel barrel". Amazing how much stuff that doesn't turn out photo beautiful but has to remain around to burn in the lesson resulting from yet, another abject failure. This must be rooted in ancient mysticism somewhere as keeping the duds around prevents the evil spirit of the dud from returning once again, abjectly I might say...,

-Gil
  20. Gil

Gil Active Member

Tidyness & Mysticism

Clean-up usually occurs when I finally can't find anything anymore and ruefully realize that it has to be done. I have a recycled cutoff plastic bottle bottom full of spoked wheel remnants that I call the "wheel barrel". Amazing how much stuff that doesn't turn out photo beautiful but has to remain around to burn in the lesson resulting from yet, another abject failure. This must be rooted in ancient mysticism somewhere as keeping the duds around prevents the evil spirit of the dud from returning once again, abjectly I might say...,

-Gil