Boeing Clipper

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by barry, Mar 2, 2006.

1. airbob

airbob Member

Boeing clipper nose section

Barry,
    Once again, your perserverence is LEDGENDARY!....this nose section looks very impressive, and captures the essence of the real thing....bravo! bravo!, and bravo!!!:yep: :yep: :yep:
  2. barry

barry Active Member

New Boeing Nose

For those who not totally bored with this thread I recoloured the new nose bits (cut and paste being idle) it does stop the myriad panel edges showing I think and at least that damn flag lines up (no offence to my American buddies). I also added a horizontal former to help gluing it together

@Bob

Thanks for the kind words

[​IMG]
  3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Barry,

What's the Short Empire G-ADHL 3 View doing beneath the -314?

Curious -Gil
  4. barry

barry Active Member

Empire

Hi Gil

I guess I must have fallen in love with flying boats you can't have one without trying to do the other. Just looking honest...................

barry
    (Would you buy a used car from this man?)
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

Slab Slides Make One Piece in Seaplane Model

Hi Barry,

I kind of came to the same conclusion. It seems the slab sides are much better looking if applied in one piece and the longer you can make it the better. Darting the top and applying it a section at a time from front to back is a great way to build this section.

Thanks for showing your work. By the way are you contemplating one more build that includes these refinements?

-Gil
  6. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

barry,

No offense taken!........... only others who have tried to line up graphics across multiple card parts will understand.............and give you that all knowing nod of aggravation!:cry:

Shoot, I'm having trouble just getting a straight line across 5 parts to line up straight!:grin: grumble..... grumble..... grumble...............:grin:

And women wonder why we mutter to ourselves all the time..........
  7. barry

barry Active Member

Gil

I guess I wwill have to put my money where my mouth is and do it again

Bow

Yea thats the feeeling

barry
  8. barry

barry Active Member

Gil

I guess I wwill have to put my money where my mouth is and do it again

Bow

Yea thats the feeeling

barry
  9. hpept

hpept Member

Damn, this is what really stops me from designing my own models... :mad: :cry:
  10. hpept

hpept Member

Damn, this is what really stops me from designing my own models... :mad: :cry:
  11. barry

barry Active Member

New nose

Hi All

Not exactly the easiest thing in the world to build, as Gil said it's a panel by panel job it does show quite a few lines and it's probably beyond my skills I'm beginning to realise I don't see so well. I threw away the horizontal former just made things difficult. The formers are inserted after you have the panels joined together.

[​IMG]

comparison with the original design

[​IMG]

The cockpit windows might well be my undoing the model is placed to make me look better at than I am

regards
  12. barry

barry Active Member

New nose

Hi All

Not exactly the easiest thing in the world to build, as Gil said it's a panel by panel job it does show quite a few lines and it's probably beyond my skills I'm beginning to realise I don't see so well. I threw away the horizontal former just made things difficult. The formers are inserted after you have the panels joined together.

[​IMG]

comparison with the original design

[​IMG]

The cockpit windows might well be my undoing the model is placed to make me look better at than I am

regards
  13. barry

barry Active Member

Oh not again

Hi All

Plodding through the last rebuild. Sort of making it up as I go along .

I made up the internal flaps by pushing small strips of card up into the fuselage and drew the outline of the chine line then snipped out the appropriate number of "V"s. The first side was relatively easy but the second side has you hooking the the fuselage out to meet the keel rather tricky I did not do it as well as I had hoped.

[​IMG]

The mistakes started in Pepakura, mine I might add, if the vents are not symetrical then something is wrong I left the one at the aft end of the cockpit and the trouble started there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is in a kinder light
  14. barry

barry Active Member

Oh not again

Hi All

Plodding through the last rebuild. Sort of making it up as I go along .

I made up the internal flaps by pushing small strips of card up into the fuselage and drew the outline of the chine line then snipped out the appropriate number of "V"s. The first side was relatively easy but the second side has you hooking the the fuselage out to meet the keel rather tricky I did not do it as well as I had hoped.

[​IMG]

The mistakes started in Pepakura, mine I might add, if the vents are not symetrical then something is wrong I left the one at the aft end of the cockpit and the trouble started there

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This one is in a kinder light
  15. barry

barry Active Member

fuselage almost there

Part 2

I used one of the parts from the second fuselage (the aft bit of the long side panel) to strengthen the wing position and to provide the key for the second keel step to be added on top. Rebuilt the back end again not too bad this bit if you join the darts it makes it's own shape no formers required. I will stuff it with tissue to give the tail assembly a chance of a solid base.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This former is fitted after joining the keel up to the first chine step.

[​IMG]

White area will be covered by the rest of the keel.
  16. barry

barry Active Member

fuselage almost there

Part 2

I used one of the parts from the second fuselage (the aft bit of the long side panel) to strengthen the wing position and to provide the key for the second keel step to be added on top. Rebuilt the back end again not too bad this bit if you join the darts it makes it's own shape no formers required. I will stuff it with tissue to give the tail assembly a chance of a solid base.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This former is fitted after joining the keel up to the first chine step.

[​IMG]

White area will be covered by the rest of the keel.
  17. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Very nice Barry! It's always fun to play around and rearrange stuff. It's cool when you find a non-standard way of doing things that looks better than the standard way.
  18. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Very nice Barry! It's always fun to play around and rearrange stuff. It's cool when you find a non-standard way of doing things that looks better than the standard way.
  19. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I think I saw a Boeing Clipper in flight today or something similar. I was driving home(going south) and there was this aircraft with four engines and what looked like an amphibious hull flying north. I recognized the hull from your model.
    I was driving and rubbernecking, so I didn't get a real good look. Also I'm not good at ID-ing aircraft from a distance.
    I live in Anchorage Alaska. I think she was headed toward Lake Hood float-plane airport.

Do you want me to head for Lake Hood with a camera to see if I can find the aircraft?

---Lizzie
  20. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I think I saw a Boeing Clipper in flight today or something similar. I was driving home(going south) and there was this aircraft with four engines and what looked like an amphibious hull flying north. I recognized the hull from your model.
    I was driving and rubbernecking, so I didn't get a real good look. Also I'm not good at ID-ing aircraft from a distance.
    I live in Anchorage Alaska. I think she was headed toward Lake Hood float-plane airport.

Do you want me to head for Lake Hood with a camera to see if I can find the aircraft?

---Lizzie