Boeing Clipper

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by barry, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Hey Barry set your printer to Black Only, or convert color to black.... whichever it is, and switch back to color after all of the beta builds. Saves the colors.

Looking good, so is the Type 23!

john
  2. barry

barry Active Member

fuselage windows

Hi All

Just to prove I am still trying to build this, ignore the background it's just to show up the parts.

looking at it, I feel it will probably need to be printed on photopaper has anybody used that media.

[​IMG]

you will have to set to full size otherwise it looks c**p
  3. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Barry

The Clipper paint is looking good. Out of curiosity, what scale are you planning to build it in?
  4. barry

barry Active Member

scaling

Hi Ash

At the moment I just fitted it on a sheet of A4 it comes out at about 1/132 so I guess the nearest conventional scale will be 1/144. Current fuselage length is 24.1 cm

regards
  5. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Wotcher, bazzer!:)

Nice looking job on the aluminium finish, mate!

Glad you're pushing forward on her, she's going to be a beaut!

Cheers!
    Jim
  6. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Nice paint job.
  7. dovbear88

dovbear88 New Member

clipper

What a magnificent beast! Best of luck in her design. I'll beta too.
  8. barry

barry Active Member

Holiday build

Hi All

This was not so much a holiday build but a lesson in how this should go together fuselage is as rough as a bear's bum but it does not seem to care I did a dry build on it and had to glue it in situ cos it would not comw apart but it's solid and probably the best bit of it. In common with good ship building practice I glued some thin card to each former before attempting to skin her. I soon discovere my cutting of the formers was not great but with the paper T beams what the hell. However you do not start this model at the nose you put the mid section in first and work forward and back and it seems to work.

Sadly I wish that the seams were a bit (lot) better making the skins without black lines is a bit difficult for my abilities. The upper nose will get a dollop of black paint so the curve cuts should not show too much especially with a bit of sanding. So for better or worse these are the pics no apologies.

[​IMG]

She is about 10 inches long and I was having trouble sticking the patterns to the funny cardboard, kept lifting using UHU (yellow pack)

[​IMG]

I wish I could build planes better the edges show too much for my liking I ripped off the first skins this is the second try.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe one day I will finish it

regards
  9. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Wotcher, bazzer!:)

Welcome back! And you come bearing gifts...some pretty neat progress pics!

Actually, she looks pretty good; this is not a simple fuselage shape, remember, lots of jinks and curves to be accounted for, so you're doing a pretty fair job of it. As for the black edges, why not change the outlines (if you have to keep them) to a light gray instead of black? Something just a tab darker than the skin color, but not so much as to stick out when on the formers.

That black section on the nose, which I suppose is an anti-glare feature, does seem to need a bit of re-alignment on the after skin section to make a straight line, or is it supposed to be stepped the way you have it?

It's a nice looking fuselage, mate, and the photos show a very nice fit of all the parts, just a few tweeks needed perhaps, but that's what beta builds are for, no?

Keep at it, mate, can't wait to see more!

Cheers!
    Jim
  10. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Barry........... she looks great! Please keep it up. This piece of history need to be modeled!

john
  11. barry

barry Active Member

Boeing fuselage

Hi All

This run of the fuselage is nearly finished the only pic that came out looks pretty good from the side. I am actually pleased with cockpit area it is an awkward set of pieces to blend in, some window edges will help. I think combining the aft part of the cockpit, the main windows piece and the first of the tail skins might get rid of two nasty joins and strengthen the wing support area as well there is a nasty bit towards the tail that I keep catching while working on the plane.

The fit is good it's my cutting of the former slots that has caused most of the problems. Like ships this fuselage spine requires some carefull sanding to blend in the formers. (What I really mean it needs someone who can build planes to do it.)

Jim and John

Thank you for the encouragement mates.

Jim how polite you are, sometimes I go to sleep while designing so please imagine a black area which extends in a gentle curve from the cockpit front windows and ending behind the nose (or in this case bow). Also note that the last set of windows in the fuselage should be above or an a level with the previous set not giving an excellent view of the sea.

[​IMG]

regards
  12. barry

barry Active Member

Sponsons and wing inner

Hi All

Well it looks like it will be worth a redraw anyway. i think I have found a way to lose most of the black lines on the next try.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pity I built the inner section upside down for colour but the fuselage fairing will cover most of it actually i found it quite difficult to decide which way up to build it.
  13. barry

barry Active Member

wings and tail

Hi All

Added the outer wings and tail assembly it immediately showed up the need for a heavy spar right through the wings which at the moment will certainly droop. The tailplane and fins are stuffed with paper handkerchief strips to give them body and airfoil section, a dirty trick from Rob. I suppose using stand off scale parlance it looks a bit like a clipper.

The pic is lousy so I took the liberty of removing the horrible black nose. It makes it look a bit more elegant. Next the engines but at the moment I feel like a rest from her and they need more design work.

[​IMG]
  14. goney3

goney3 Member

Wow thats beautiful! Good work! Job well done! *applauds* :)
  15. barry

barry Active Member

Wing upper fairings

Hi All

I had to close up the fuselage before I stopped now I really am going back to my ships for a while

[​IMG]

just a better pic

[​IMG]

Could not stand looking at the black nose even on a junk model build like this one so I overlaid some 80 gsm panels however I took out the black outlines and it sure does less obtrusive as faer as the panel lines go.

[​IMG]
  16. barry

barry Active Member

Engines

Hi All

This bird will not let me put it down I think I must be in love with even if it is a standoff job. This is just the centre sedtions of the nacelles and they could do with a rework in pepakura again to move the joint line below. I am looking forward to building this one on good quality photo paper.

I still don't know why the big boys have not done a professional kit of her.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the kind words. AS for the camera if the light is just right it's good any other time it is c**p no controls no nothing

regards
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Just as a suggestion.... When you take your pics, use a contrasting background - it will help bring things into focus on the model :) Very nice build though!
  18. Gil

Gil Active Member

You Are Amazing!

Hi Barry,

You are amazing! Step by step, bit by bit you've conquered each required technique through. That's what I call tenacious...,

-Gil
  19. barry

barry Active Member

Thanks Gil I think bloody minded would be nearer.....

Still have to learn how tp project lines from an external source on to the 3d surface tho

Currently reading a write up by Keith (I rhink) on how to, the old brain is getting slow now for new ideas to sink in

best regards
  20. barry

barry Active Member

Colour at last

Hi All

As Gil said it's bit by bit poor old crate is falling apart and the wings are drooping as I expected but I wanted a change so I tried a bit of "drawing". I wish I knew how you do it so fast NOBI. I'm a bit tired of gray so this made a bit of a change. This was only 24 lines but it took me hours. I love 60 and 80 gsm paper overlays

It's OK John I shall go to bed now!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found a head on pic I could adapt

[​IMG]

regards