Boeing Clipper

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by barry, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

The faux aluminium color scheme came out very believeable, Barry!

I would be interested to see how this is done on the rounded fuselage. I wonder if it can be accomplished so when viewed from all sides it's still believeable...wish I was talented enough to play around with this myself.

Keep at it, mate!

Cheers!
    Jim
  2. barry

barry Active Member

Engines

Hi

Finally got the engine nacelles to fit into the wings and they appear to unfold that does not mean they are buildable though.

[​IMG]
  3. barry

barry Active Member

Aumimium texture

Hi again

I was playing about with metaseq again and finally managed to add a proper texture.

@Jim

Maybe you can produce a fully hooked up aluminium skin it will need some blurring and lightening but it looks possible.

[​IMG]

According to my calculations it should look like this at the moment quite surprising.

It is created by a 512 x 512 ali pattern for cylinders as pointed out by Tim thank you kindly. Could be fun finding out

[​IMG]
  4. barry

barry Active Member

Ready to cut ?

Hi All

I suppose I will have to get the scissors out and hope some of it fits.

The ali does not look too bad but it would need some reworking to stop some of the curve shadows being in the wrong places and Gil I ain't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Hi Barry,

I like your texture...it look real like aluminium, you did very great job on that clipper
  6. Jim Krauzlis

Real great job, bazzer!:)

The alu finish looks great...even if they don't line up exactly it probably will still look fine as individual panels might show up with slightly different reflections as in the real plane, perhaps.

Hope you get to cut and glue a bit this weekend and show us how it works out. I know you've done a lot of work on this design, but it sure looks like it is time very well spent!

Cheers!
    Jim
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Very Nicely Done

Hi Barry,

Great progress! Jim's right about the panels. It may suprise you when you assemble them all but it should have the look. Seems this aluminum thing is working itself out to a realizable soulution amongst the more persistent cardmodelers.

-Gil
  8. barry

barry Active Member

Ali skins cont

Hi All

First please ignore the rotten build on this thing that's down to me not met and pep. Should have put the keel plates on first of course.

Yes it's lined up very well and it is very subtle shading perhaps this is a bit light in colour that of course is down to paper and ink etc. panels 3 and 4 look better as does the nose, because they were printed on "nice" white paper the other 3 are printed on not such good paper.

It does have a curious effect in that when you glance down at the flat cut out part you get the impression it is actually bent I found myself reaching out to straighten it on more than one occasion.

Also it is obvious that the black lines around the parts will have to be eradicated to give a better effect.

I would stress that the effect is purely a "mechanical" use of metaseq and it has not been messed about with (improved) by me so anyone can do this. This for once is a true picture of what it looks like, my camera managed not to flash and b*****r it up.

I leave you to make your mind up about the finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Jim Krauzlis

Wotcher, bazzer!:)

Well, for my untrained eye, it looks pretty darn good to me!
    If you reduce the black lines to a less stark color, such as gray, maybe it won't be as noticeable...and, when you add the panel lines perhaps it won't be noticeable at all. Important thing I notice is the coloring patterns line up, as far as I can tell, so that's a great start. But, again, I would expect others more practiced at this than I may have more constructive comments....
    Cheers!
    Jim
  10. barry

barry Active Member

Lines

Even this is simple you just delere all lines in pepakura. Sometimes I'm just dumb
  11. barry

barry Active Member

Fuselage

Hi All

A couple of trick pics the flash this time seems to have taken the place of some gloss varnish. I'm afraid it is not quite as bright as this in real life although it did fool my wife into asking if I had used cigar tubes for it so it has to be something like right.

The build itself is awful I got a twist in the rear fuselage and my cutting ain't that good the skins are accurate it's me that got them out of shape. I really will have to put a full cross member in or it will never stay straight. Back to the drawing board it needs someone with better fingers than mine to build it and frankly it's a sod to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. barry

barry Active Member

New crutch

Redesigned the crutch because the aft end wobbled about too much and the cockpit area was not that good either

[​IMG]

sort of butterfly mode time
  13. Jim Krauzlis

That looks to be very sturdy and hopefully will correct the wobble you noted.
    Very impressive work, mate!

I noticed the curved portions of the former have what appear to be radii lines eminating from the center of the former...is that how you worked out the curves? Just curious whether that was a design technique that I might have missed earlier.

Looking forward to seeing her all printed up and ready to be built by you...she's a beauty! Have you given much thought to the livery colors she will be finished in? My vote, of course, is the Pan Am clipper colors.

Keep at her, mate, she's really a beautifully done design!

Cheers!
    Jim
  14. barry

barry Active Member

Pan Ameican colours

Hi Jim

Apart from the fact I still need to learn how to do it I have not managed to find a good picture of the livery as yet so if someone has some pics bigger than a postage stamp I would like to see them. Research I have to confess, is something I quite often do after I have started.

The lines are caused by drawing the triangles metsequoia uses to produce the unfold the curve is selected by the points I probably need to use more than I do certainly so if it was a big scale job.

regards
  15. Jim Krauzlis

16. barry

barry Active Member

Pan Am colours

Jim

Thanks for the pic refs have I got this right

All aluminium with PA badge
    Wing Number Blue?
    Tail number
    Red block on upper wing
    Name on Bow
    Black anti dazzle in front of cockpit

regards

barry
  17. Jim Krauzlis

I believe the answer to your questions are all yes, but I'm not sure about the wing and tail numbers being blue, maybe dark gray? Anyway...does this pic help?

Hope so...if not, let me know.
    Cheers!
    Jim

Attached Files:

18. goney3

goney3 Member

*cough*progressreport*cough* ;)
  19. barry

barry Active Member

progress

Nor a lot but point taken

Just have not had time to try another fuselage I have not forgotten it though
  20. barry

barry Active Member

Boeing cont

Not a lot done but at least I know where the windows fit now and the outlines are about right. As you can see by the fuzzy green in the bottom corner the damn printer has run out of yellow ink.

[​IMG]

regards