Boeing Clipper

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by barry, Mar 2, 2006.

1. barry

barry Active Member

Hi

No I don't think I can design aircraft this is definately a bit on the lumpy side, as it stands, but it does look like it might unfold and with a lot of sanding etc it might build. It certainly would not stand Gil running his ruler over it. It also will have a ships internals can't manage these crafty roll it and stick it together designs. Not having the boolean routine for metseqioia meant having to eyeball the wing fairings into place bit of a job but you have to use what you have got.

I first saw this beast in a book about 1943 and I thought it and the Empire flying boats were the ultimate bees knees, so having got tired of bollards and railings for a while I thought I would try this. (Getting Tim's problems I think)

Anyway have a laugh

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Wotcher, bazzer!:)

I think she is looking great! I for one would not worry too much about any perceived rough spots, I think you can work it out as you build by forming the skin to be rounded...sort of how I made one of the airigami jets to reduce the boxey design they have.

I'm going out on a limb here, but I would be honored to try a beta build of her if you need someone to try your design. What scale are you aiming at for this design?

Once you get the basic design together, and it looks like you are just about there, and before the skins are painted maybe a test build using your formers would help see if there are actually any rough spots. Perhaps the internal forming system can then be rounded out a bit to remove the sharp joints...talking from ignorance here, mate, but once you get the basic shape maybe it won't be all that difficult to clean up the joints and formers to give you the rounded shape you are looking for.
    Maybe if NOBI checks in on this thread he might have some tips that might help you...NOBI? Gil was working on a similar design, went through some spectacular painting schemes to give it an aluminum look, so maybe he has some ideas for you too. Gil?:-D

Meanwhile, I love the way she is coming along...this is one of my dream planes I can't figure out why it hasn't been designed before.

Keep at it, mate, she looks to be a real winner!

Cheers!
    Jim
  3. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

ALRIGHT BARRY!!!!! This is something that will fill a void in the paper model fleet!

I volunteer as a beta builder if you need any!

john
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Jim.......... you beat me by a minute!

john
  5. Jim Krauzlis

:twisted:

Cheers!
    Jim
  6. barry

barry Active Member

Clipper

Thanks Jim and John don't hold your breath for a while I still have a lot of work on the engine cowls I think I will have to study other peoples designs to get them anywhere near right (all these compound curves). I found I have a hell of lot more to learn having tried to do this even if it is fun. You more than welcome to build it however it may be an odd experience.

Jim

This plane is the equivalent of a Tribal class destroyer not too much detail (like no undercarriage or wheelwells) and it is absolutely slab sided for 3/4 of it's length which helps just needs rounded corners. The cabin is not to my liking as yet but it should come out eventually. The nose will probably have to be redesigned to fit card shaping.

As to scale I think I will go for 1/144 to start with gives a wingspan of about 12 inches, if I was good enough I would go for 1/72 but then it is scaleable.

regards
  7. Jim Krauzlis

bazzer...I'll wait as long as it takes!:grin:

This is a sadly unmodeled airplane which needs some love and attention...thanks for taking the time to try and design a model of her!

Cheers!
    Jim
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Nice going Barry!

The 314 is a very graceful lady. I am still working on a design but other real work got in the way so it's only down to bits and dabs on an infrequent basis. I've been experimenting with bitmapped UV paint texture maps and bump maps to do the artwork. An interesting discovery is that a good UV mapping program actually unfolds the 3D model (straight section lofts only). I'm not sure whether the print output of the representation is geometrically correct but it does look good (aluminum looks like aluminum even when printed on an inkjet printer)...,

-Gil
  9. barry

barry Active Member

Clipper wing sections

Hi All

I find pepakura the hardest program to control mainly due to my poor placing of the dots in meta. I coloured the top surface of the wing to indicate where the cut lines should be as pepa does not want to put them where I want them and refuses to take any notice of me when I try to change the red lines (and yes I have joined vertices etc). So rather than sod about I print, scan to Adobe and change the last bits using that program

[​IMG]

Any tips on how I can avoid this would be welcomed thank you.
  10. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Barry please send me your wing's file in .mqo maybe i can help you.
  11. Maurice

Maurice Member

Barry

Two suggestions.

1. Obviously send NOBI a copy.

2. Either draw them as 2 seperate surfaces from the leading edge to the trailing edge or put the te for the bottom a tiny distance below and not touching the te for the top.
    (In CAD I use 0.001 or 0.0001 mm and then even that dumb rhino thingy can get it right :) )

Cheers
    Maurice
  12. Willja67

Willja67 Member

At what? Looks really good to me.
  13. Jim Krauzlis

Wotcher, bazzer!:)

She's looking good to me...but I'm glad Nobi posted...I hope he helps you figure out a way around your problem.

I also hope the solution is posted so those of us who are less familiar with the workings of this software so we might all learn how to deal with this difficulty.

Cheers!
    Jim
  14. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Too cool, I've always had a soft spot for flying boats. If you need a beta builder that is all thumbs, look no further... :)
  15. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Maurice, I'm NOT biting!! But if you are having any problems with Rhino, or anything PC-related, I'd check the nut in front of the keyboard first...

Tim P
  16. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I'll second that!
  17. barry

barry Active Member

clipper help

@NOBI and Maurice

Thanks for the advice chaps Maurice I love quick and dirty answers suits my style "ace bodger" but sriously it would work but I have another couple of kinks in there I think 2 points on top of each other but not joined.

NOBI sent you a PM thank you for the offer much appreciated.

I would like a copy of Rhino but it would take another half year to learn it and no way could I justify the expense, but I like watching other people use it hint, hint !!

@Jim

I had forgotten that pepakura does some curve fitting and smoothed out the formers for me. See pic not a very clear one but it shows what I mean.

@Gil

Thank you for the kind words. Can I ask you what the RGB setting is for basic aluminium please.Not that I need it yet awhile !!

[​IMG]

regards
  18. Gil

Gil Active Member

Barry,

You're intrepid! Aluminum can be approximated by setting the RGB values to 166, 168, 148. You can go mad trying to get aluminum right but this is a good starting point. Results will vary according to your system setup and print output type and make.

-Gil
  19. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

20. barry

barry Active Member

wing mods

Hi All

Well Maurice that half of it right thank you again.

The blue panel is where I lined up the wing with a extra point put on with "wire" and took out the triangles which had flipped backwards under each other.

Anyway it now unfolds.

NOBI I hope you will have a quick look at the design for me anyway.

Thanks for the info from Tim and Gil

[​IMG]

regards

barry