Body mount couplers

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
I hear some people say that all their rolling stock has bodymount couplers.
I think we all now that is the best, but I never saw a how-to on this.
I would like to convert my rolling stock to bodymount with N-scale couplers.
Question:
Can I use the Microtrain trucks and couplers I use now (maybe cut of the coupler with a Dremel and use the trucks and separated couplers ) ?
How does one install bodymount couplers on a tank car, ACF two bay centerflow etc.... ? (you can't drill holes in the air )
What I ask if the people that say all their rolling stock is bodymount , can you give us ordinary people an how-to in this ?
Thanks,
Paul

Body Mounts

I know I will take flak over this , but i have had just as much sucsess with truck mounted couplers. In fact I find they even couple better in a curve and I am using all low-profile wheel sets. I think operations are better with truck mounts.
However if you are into lowering the cars and improving the appearance then body mount is the way to go.
I have also done what you had spoken of and cut the coupler pocket off the truck with rail nippers and the lowered the car on the truck and glued (with a dab of walthers goo)the pocket in place.
You may also want to try using woodland scenics accent glue for this.
Mind you the woodland scenics glue would not hold up to a 10 car string of double stacks , but on a modest layout and switching a 10 or 15 car train , It Works and the pocket can still be removed if damaged.
As far as the tank cars and hoppers you will need to add a thin piece of styrene sheet to the underside of the sill and paint it black and then mount the coupler to that.
TIP: always tack the pocket in place first and check coupler height before letting the glue set.
Mike

C

Catt

Personally I think you need fairly generous curves for bodymounts in N scale.Fortunately my layout has or will have them as track is laid.I fully intend to body mount all of my rolling stock couplers with photographic evidence and post the information on the NARA website as well as my own personel site