Bob's Big Boy....

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
shaygetz said:
( a 14 year old with a BLI steamer:rolleyes: is there no justice?).
Don't let that get you down Bob. You know that in a few years us poor folk will be pulling those BLIs out of the junkboxes at the trainshows:D :D :rolleyes:
It wasn't that long ago that I was wishing for P2Ks

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Sure, Ed, PM me an email address and I'll send it off to you. Thanks, Deano and Miles, I prefer the Big Boy, too. I'd lose a lot of sleep if I parted with the kind of coin those BLIs go for. You're right, Ray, we'll be pullin' these outta the swap meet junk boxes while they'll be ooooin' and ahhhin' over the latest in miniature steam powered and diesel lokeys with sound and life like animated crews...sigh:rolleyes: :D

Videos of ol' Forty-oh-five weathered and rollin'...

http://www.freewebs.com/shaygetz/videos/BobsBigBoy2.wmv

http://www.freewebs.com/shaygetz/videos/BobsBigBoy3.wmv

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
I always thought likelike animated crews would be nice, but I think the cat would make quick work of them, and you'd have to feed, protect, and clean up after 'em! :rolleyes: Unless they're holograms! :eek:

Your work is so amazing I watched each viedo at least 5 times!

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
AmericanAirFan said:
Awesome what kind of radius track do you need for the good old 4-8-8-4?

Thanks, AHM/Rivarossis are actually designed to go around 18" curves---they look ridiculous doing it---but, they can do it. My minimum is 22", still ridiculous but they like it much better as far as mechanics go. The curves at the club are 32".

petey

May 17, 2004
Hi Bob,
I went back to your older thread concerning that Bachmann 4-8-4. I was amazed that the thread is still running. Anyway, I posted a message there for you, concerning my latest loco rescue, don't know how to put pics on this forum so I quoted my auction number, which, of course has pictures. When I saw this thread, I thought you had upstaged me, but not quite. If you're interested, check it out.:wave:

petey

May 17, 2004
Big Boy

Hey Bob,
Check this out for many parts: #230018700938. It's a Monogram Big Boy plastic kit. Oodles of parts for cheap, and one of the biggest benefits is a centipede tender, which Bowser makes a electrifying kit for. I've used this and the Hudson kit for parts purposes.
There is, on occassion, a plastic kit for the, Reading/Chessie, T1, on eBay. Not much time left on this auction.
sign1

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
petey said:
Hey Bob,
Check this out for many parts: #230018700938. It's a Monogram Big Boy plastic kit. Oodles of parts for cheap, and one of the biggest benefits is a centipede tender, which Bowser makes a electrifying kit for. I've used this and the Hudson kit for parts purposes.
There is, on occassion, a plastic kit for the, Reading/Chessie, T1, on eBay. Not much time left on this auction.
sign1

Thanks, Pete, I'm good for this project though I've pondered assembling one of those pups from time to time.

UPBigBoy4008

Aug 26, 2006
Bob,

Your Big Boy looks fantastic and let me say you've done one hell of a job on the weathering. I own a Rivarossi Big Boy, the only thing I've done to it was replace the front end coupler with one that works. It's still in it's new condition and I've broke it in a few years back. The only thing I want to do is build a big layout to run it on. Problem is finding a bigger home to do that.

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
Aaaahhhhh!

My last post was my "666th", does it mean I'm going to burn in some eternal flame?:cry:

Oh wait, this one is my 667th, so I gues I'm clear. Whew.:thumb:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Thanks, Chris, zedob, I do appreciate the kind words, especially since it's been so long since my last steamer weathering job.

UPBigBoy4008 said:
Bob,

Your Big Boy looks fantastic and let me say you've done one hell of a job on the weathering. I own a Rivarossi Big Boy, the only thing I've done to it was replace the front end coupler with one that works. It's still in it's new condition and I've broke it in a few years back. The only thing I want to do is build a big layout to run it on. Problem is finding a bigger home to do that.

Welcome to The Gauge, UP:wave: Thanks for the kind comments. I can only run mine on the club layout myself. Even with 32" radius curves it still looks a bit uncomfortable.