BNSF/UP yesterday

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Yesterday when I was at work, I was driving along the BNSF tracks that run through Downers Grove, right next to an eastbound intermodal. As I was pulling up on the loco's though, they really caught my attention. The lead was a BNSF dash 9. The helper unit was a UP patched SP SD40-2. Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me yesterday, but I did see it!

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
Sorta like this?

IMG_6519.jpg

:)

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
He probably saw a sd40-2t tunnel motor. All of the class one railroads participate in power pools, where they borrow power units from the pool when they need more power and loan power to the pool when they have excess power. The sd40-2t was probably pool power. If it was leased power, the U.P. "patch" would have been removed and the name of the leasing company put on the locomotive.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
Most of the time, if you see a loco with porches like that with the 2-DB 3-Rad fan configuration but has Flexicoil trucks, it's a straight SD40.

The only SD40-2s with Flexicoil trucks would be the ones bought by Conrail.. Lots of them have been repainted into CSX and NS colors though.

Hope this helps!

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
Strike two. The units behind the leader are not called "helpers" unless they are crewed separately and under power. Most trains operate with multiple units on the point as their regular power. Although there are some good sized hills on the C&I I've never seen a true "helper" on any train out there.

And what does shared power count for anyway? I see NS and CSX mixed enough it's a non-issue anymore. The amount of BNSF and UP power in the East is simply maddening anymore. When I go railfanning on CSX or NS it's because I want to see those railroads; if I wanted to see the western power I'd have gone to see it. Argh.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Ok, my mistakes. I still don't know much about the proper terms, or loco classifications. What I saw was a Dash 9 with an SD40, I know it wasn't a tunnel motor.

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Out here in Minnesota we have BNSF. The consist are always interesting to see with a lot of different road names on em. Most of the time the lead unit is the road name of the line.

Rick

65GASSER

Jun 12, 2006
Malvern, AR
SeriousSam said:
I have to travel 60 miles East to the nearest BNSF line and 60 miles west to the nearest UP line. There is nothing in between :(

Man... here there are tracks all around. UP mainline is about 10 miles away. NS, BNSF, KSC, and CSX runs down it as well. I see a big mix of motive power and mix of roadnames. I should be getting pictures. :rolleyes: