BMP-2 Infantry Carrier/Light Tank

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Arjun, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Arjun

Arjun Member

So it's time to hit the ground. After several planes and two (one gifted) animals and an attempt at building a car, I'll design a military tracked vehicle. I've often thought of doing an Indian Main Battle Tank (especially the indigenously developed tank) but I'd prefer to get some practice first. So I chose the BMP-2 vehicle, possibly an infantry carrier or light tank.

This is my first design in 3ds Max. Here's how far I've gone with modelling.
    [​IMG]
    Photos have not been very helpful, and there's one box at the back I've had a little difficulty designing. I will use a lot of texturing instead of modelling (scale has not been decided yet, but it will definitely be very small) for the accessories, but to give it a 3-D look, I will be cutting and pasting the pipes, hammers and hatches over the paper.
  2. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

looks good. dont woorry to much with details. good textures can give a simple design a lotta life.
  3. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Arjun: Well Done!
    I'll watch this thread with interest!
    Jim
  4. Arjun

Arjun Member

I had to set up lights just to get a good view.
    [​IMG]
    The corny red lines are merely a standby. As I said, this will be a highly textured model without much 3-D, and mostly layers of card on card.
    [​IMG]
    These textures were applied using a complete unwrap. The hatches at the back are a little too high above the floor, and I'll have to adjust the size.
  5. Wojtee

Wojtee Member

That is a cool vehicle to model. But there is already one pretty detailed free BMP here:
    http://fk.konradus.com/modele/modele.php
    (third link from the bottom)
    Do you plan an Indian version? Now that might be nteresting...
  6. Zathros

Zathros Guest

zenith, you dug up a thread that has been dead for 4 years!!, No No No!!

The only thing good that came out of it was the model that Woojtee pointed us too.

And after just opening that one, I would have to see, except for maybe a recolor, it would be a waste of time to do another one as this one is pretty darned detailed. Tanks Wojtee! :)