Blue Pink Foam

littlebuddha

Hi not sure if right place to ask ques but my excuse is im building n-gauge. any way hi guys im in the UK does anyone know where i can buy this foam as the white ball type stuff does not impress me and would love to make my table light for moving and a mess of other reasons. Anyone in the UK been able to get there hands on this easy as i have not seen any around, cheers

ezdays

Out AZ way
I'm not in the UK, but the blue and pink stuff is called, "extruded foam". You may have to call around, but here in the US, we find it in some home centers, building supply stores and even in some mansonary stores. You might call around and ask for it that way. Maybe someone in the UK will know where to find it, but I can't believe if it's available here, that it should be there as well.

Good luck,

littlebuddha

Thanks for the reply, im a carpenter by trade and been on the building for years but i have not seen blue pink just the white stuff thats the ball type there is another type that is used for insulation but has some form of fibre glass product in it makes you itch like made. just a matter of looking most like it is here somewhere. cheers from the uk

tillsbury

You might find some in a bigger B&Q warehouse, but it is rare in NZ too. I found a sheet of low-density fibreboard (sort of like woodchip wallpaper but 1/2" thick). It's very light and was used in the 60's before plasterboard was common and when you wanted a bit more insulating capacity than hardboard. But it has advantages -- it light and can be chopped with a knife like foam, but is stiffer -- I use a 1x2 framing at around 400mm centres underneath it, and because it's only 1/2" thick you can use under-table mounted switch machines without any hassle... I can still carry my 8x4 by myself, even with two levels, backdrops of MDF, and 54 tortoises installed... although I wouldn't want to carry it for long... :)

littlebuddha

From what i can find out its here but not widly used at the moment and B&Q dont stock it have a large warehouse one just 5 mins away from me, i want the 2" so as to be able to go down a level one side just makes it easy and light as well most like have to put up with the cheap white not so good stuff and use the heat gun, that will please her indoors what a wiff. cheers