Blue Max/Canvas Eagles kinda O/T

Discussion in 'Gaming & Toys' started by cgutzmer, Mar 28, 2007.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Well this is the best spot I could think of for this. Its not really about paper models but it is a completely free game that you can download everything for and make the miniatures out of paper.

http://www.eaglesmax.com/index.html

basically its a game of WWI aerial combat that uses 1/144 (can you say texman) airplanes. I think after my next two builds (warhawk and p-47d) I am going to try making some small planes for this game. Unless of course Texman wants to send me a bunch.

Texman - question for ya. How long does it take you to make one of those little beauties?
    Chris
  2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Pretty cool. Looks like the Avalon Hill Knights of the Air, done with miniatures.
  3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I think Fiddler's Green models created in much smaller scale would be the very thing for this. I'm not sure what scale their WW1 aircraft is but because they are so simple it should not be hard to build them tiny. Nice link!
  4. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Neato!!! Peachy-keen!!! Fantabulous!!!
    Tubular!!! ITTY-BITTY-NITTY-GRITTY!!!
    and darn cool too!

How's that for a dork reply?
  5. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

That's funny, I found a group here that plays Canvas Eagles. They use 1/72 plastic kits for their minatures. This Friday will be my first game but I have known of the game for a while but never could catch up with the group. I will be making FG WW1 birds to use as my pieces. I've already finished a 1/72 SPAD XIII and I'm currently building a Bristol F2b for the wife to use (yes the wife actually wants to play the game as well). If I can squeeze it in I'm gonna try for a Pfalz DIII also but that may be pushing it.

G1
  6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Thats big! Can you take some pics of the game board for the thread of your models in action? :D
    Thanks!
    Chris
  7. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Game board? Try game floor. lol.
  8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

good point!!!!
    Chris
  9. lairdre

lairdre Member

10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

11. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

cgutzmer, sure I'll snap some pics (if they let me of course) :D

lairdre, first off, welcome to the forums. And second, thanks for the great link :D

G1
  12. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

Here's another site I found a while back that offers a large variety of diffrent games including a lot of minatures air combat types. Download, print out, and play games :D :D :D

G1

http://www.wargamedownloads.com/
  13. Texman

Texman Guest

Chris,

I really depends on the kit itself and the amount of detail I do. But as an average, 12-20 hours including rescale and color correction times. Some may take longer (WWI rigging) and some may take less (simpler kits).

Ray
  14. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

@ Getter1... yeah thanks. More games to distract me from paper models. =P

@ Texman... If you build for 1/144 scale would you really require rigging? Also you wouldnt really need half the details of the kit essentially. Cockpit details, flaps and such.
  15. Texman

Texman Guest

Yes, rigging is required. I just use really fine nylon thread. And yes, cockpits, flaps, speedbrakes, etc can/will/have been added.

Ray
  16. Getter1

Getter1 Active Member

I agree with Texman that rigging and details should be added if possible but in this case as gaming pieces I don't think everything is all that necessary hench why I'm going with FG models and not Marek's kits for game pieces. However when I get a bit more time I do plan on reducing some of Marek's WW1 birds for more detailed props :p

Oh Steve O, your welcome :p My job as the eternal enabler is still intact :p

G1
  17. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Some really nice paper models on this site!
    75% of the armor models are Clifford Buttons offerings from papertigerarmaments!

Russell
  18. Winky

Winky New Member

Here's a picture of a Fokker DR1 and Sopwith Camel in 1/200 scale that I scratch built for Blue Max. The Fokker DR1 should actually be red but my son who uses it likes blue.

Attached Files:

19. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Those look great, Winky!

Nice job! Do you have plans for any more?

Russell
  20. Winky

Winky New Member

Thanks Russell,

I got 4 different Fokkers and 4 different Camels. The colour schemes are based on actual planes from WW1. My sons and I played quite a few games of Blue Max a while ago and had plans to eventually move up to Canvas Eagles. I was planning to make models of all the basic plane types for Blue Max. I have an Albatross half way done. However, due to time constraints things are temporarily (and perhaps permanently) on hold.

If people are interested I can make the plans and/or colour schemes of the Fokkers and Camels available.