Blue foam or foam blues?

sd80mac

Jul 5, 2002
Southern California
Visit site
We are all familiar with the 2" blue foam we curently use in layout construction. It is very dense and very sturdy and makes for pretty solid and lightweight benchwork. My question is what wrong with using the 2" white "beadboard" foam?

Aside from the obvious (less density and somewhat harder to shape), given proper support, more specifically under trackwork, would not white foam work just as well as blue or pink foam?

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi SDmac-80

The big difference with the white form board is it makes a big mess all over your working area plus most of the room your working in. For the difference in price I know you will be much happier using the pink or blue board. Hope this answers your question. :) Ron

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
Also, from my personal experience, the white foam isn't as good at deadening the sound. In fact, in the experiments I made with it, the sound was actually worse. I also found it harder to paint.

nmtexman

Nov 8, 2001
Albuquerque NM
Visit site
White board is bead-type board. It is really messy to use and doesn't hold roadbed well, unless you use the self-adhesive type. It will also melt if you use any kind of spray paint on it.