Blocks, common-rail wiring or not?

csxnscale

I need to divide the layout I'm currently building in blocks.
I plan to go later on DCC, but for now I'll use DC.
The turnouts used are Peco insulfrog and there are no reverse loops in the layout plan.
Can I use common-rail wiring (cutting only the + tracks) or do I have to cut both tracks to create blocks ?
Paul

shamus

Registered Member
If you could post a photo of the plan, I could tell you better. On the other hand if as you say you are using Peco "Insulated" turnouts, then as soon as you flick a turnout over it will stop the power to whatever loco is on that track. Another point is that with this kind of insulated turnout you really only need 2 wires to power up the whole system, albiet you can only run one train at a time so this is where BLOCK control comes in. It is always better to cut both rails as shorts can apply otherwise.
Try and post your plan.
Shamus

csxnscale

Thanks, Paul.
Here is the trackplan.
The red dots are my suggested places to cut the rail to create the blocks. The dot with small spur in the yard will be the program track when I switch to DCC later.
Now the question is cut both rails or only the + rail ?
Paul

aak.jpg

Medicine Man

Seeing as power feed the the rail's should be every 3 to 4 feet,I would "cut both + and - rail's as Insulater's are cheap.For DCC control just link them all together.

MM

Russ Bellinis

Originally posted by Medicine Man
Seeing as power feed the the rail's should be every 3 to 4 feet,I would "cut both + and - rail's as Insulater's are cheap.For DCC control just link them all together.

MM
For dcc you might want to leave some separate blocks just to help isolate problems if you have any electrical shorts. If you choose to run a couple of separate blocks for isolation purposes with dcc, you can't use common rail, both rails have to be cut and insulated.

Pooh Bah
I wired my layout cutting double gaps but the outside rails were all wired to a common terminal strip. The inside rails were wired to the cab selector switches.
This can help tracing electrical faults.
For DCC, this may help if you divide the layout into power districts. There was an article about how you can common up your power one way or you can common it up the other way but trying to do both ways is a no-no.
Whether you want to gap for the frogs in DCC is another consideration. If you have a passing siding and you turn both switches against it, any loco on the siding will go dead. This means that your sound system and lights cut out. Of course, it's sometimes nice to be able to shut the thing off!
Jst noticed: the gap in the upper right corner is in the wrong rail.

csxnscale

Thanks for help I guess I better start cutting only one rail ( + rail) and leave the - rail uncut for strength. I necesary I can always use my Dremel to cut the - rail later.
Paul

jwmurrayjr

There is an article in a recent issue of Railroad Model Craftsman (December or January, I think) showing how to use common rail on a DC/DCC (switchable) layout using NCE DCC.

Edit: It was the December issue:

"DCC or d.c. or both by Bob Savino
When faced with the decision of whether to scrap its d.c. operations in favor of DCC, the Garden State Model Railway Club opted to wire its layout so that either system could be used with just the flip of a switch."

Best wishes for the new year,

Lightbender

Hello csxnscale,

I guess it doesn't matter if your proposed block design is only temporary but if you were to try to run it DC you may be disappointed especially if you are having other operators. Of course DCC will eliminate any operating problems.

I like to include only one multi access turnout per block and use on/off switches for dead-end sidings. I have attached a suggestion for your consideration. The blue dots are breaks for blocks and the green ones are for on/off
aak-modified.jpg

csxnscale

Thanks ,

Tony with your proposal I have to increase the number of blocks.
Other people tell me to keep the number of blocks at minimum.
I still not sure what to do.
PS: this is a single operator railroad.
Paul

jon-monon

Flextrack may stay put a little better when only gapping one side for common rail. And common rail should work fine as long as there are no complexites of wyes, reverse loops, etc.

I'm not sure why you have been advised to have fewer blocks, but they can always be added or removed by dremel or solder :D Electrically speaking, you can remove a block by simply hard wiring it rather than giving that block it's own switch.

The hardest part about changing it on the fly, is soldering the power feeds after weathering the track, so it's best to add a lot of power feeds up front. This will also reduce the chances of a voltage drop (or a bad rail joint) effecting the loco performance. Even if you are not the best at soldering and you melt some ties, no prob., just rip some ties off some scrap track and slide them under for looks. My preference is a lot of small wire power feeds, rather than fewer large wire feeds, so it's looks better and the redundancy increases reliability.

csxnscale

Thanks Jon,
That looks the idea for me, following Tony's advice on more blocks and your advice on common rail, I had the same thoughts on strength with common rail wiring and flex.
Paul

Clerk

Do I see a couple of reversing loops there?? That means it is a must to cut both rails, otherwise I can guarantee a dead short.

csxnscale

No Dick I think you see it wrong.
This trackplan is one from John Armstrong. It is like two figure eights running parallel. From each figure eight you can escape to the other but the direction of travel on each figure eight is respected. See it as two mainlines with right hand drive on each figure eight.
Hope this make sense.
Paul

jon-monon

If you want to make sure the two rails never cross (short out as in a reverse loop), you could test it when it's all assembled, either before cutting any gaps, or if you want to gap the uncommon rail, just jumper across the gaps. If a train will run, there's no short. You could even connect a 9V battery across the track and see if it sparks with no loco on track. Of course, an ohm meter would tell as well... :D