Blades

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by cgutzmer, Oct 20, 2006.

1. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

I just changed to my 10th blade (so far) for HMCS Agassiz.:cry:
  2. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

I just changed to my 10th blade (so far) for HMCS Agassiz.:cry:
  3. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

carbon vs. stainless

Don't know about little blades since I just started dongi card models. But, I've been a professional cook for over 20 years and do have an opinion because of that.
    In the kitchen, carbon steel is better. Stainless usually starts out sharper when new, but do not resharpen worth a darn. A good quality carbon steel chef's knife will cost quite a bit more than stainless. They do loose their edge, but are easy to sharpen and after 20 plus years, I can get a hell of an edge on a knife.
    In this case, I'd go with whatever's cheaper.
    I keep a small sharpening stone on my desk and run my xacto across it a couple of times every now and then when I'm using it. But, that's not for everyone.
  4. 72BMWR75/5

72BMWR75/5 Member

carbon vs. stainless

Don't know about little blades since I just started dongi card models. But, I've been a professional cook for over 20 years and do have an opinion because of that.
    In the kitchen, carbon steel is better. Stainless usually starts out sharper when new, but do not resharpen worth a darn. A good quality carbon steel chef's knife will cost quite a bit more than stainless. They do loose their edge, but are easy to sharpen and after 20 plus years, I can get a hell of an edge on a knife.
    In this case, I'd go with whatever's cheaper.
    I keep a small sharpening stone on my desk and run my xacto across it a couple of times every now and then when I'm using it. But, that's not for everyone.