Blades

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by cgutzmer, Oct 20, 2006.

1. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I asked this in Carl's tutorial but no one ever answered so I thought I would try using its own thread. I suppose if no replies this time then I will assume they are the same and you know what assuming does....

I am going to buy some #11 excel blades online. They have carbon steel and stainless steel. For our purposes is there really any difference between the two other than 6 bucks per hundred? Will it stay sharp longer?
    Thanks
    Chris
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I asked this in Carl's tutorial but no one ever answered so I thought I would try using its own thread. I suppose if no replies this time then I will assume they are the same and you know what assuming does....

I am going to buy some #11 excel blades online. They have carbon steel and stainless steel. For our purposes is there really any difference between the two other than 6 bucks per hundred? Will it stay sharp longer?
    Thanks
    Chris
  3. Kaz

Kaz Member

In my experience with knives, the carbon steel will have a definite 'edge' over the stainless one :)
    If you resharpen your blades you will find the CS get a sharper edge over the SS ones, but wont hold the edge for as long
  4. Kaz

Kaz Member

In my experience with knives, the carbon steel will have a definite 'edge' over the stainless one :)
    If you resharpen your blades you will find the CS get a sharper edge over the SS ones, but wont hold the edge for as long
  5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Nope.
    They are made for thick blades like kitchen and hunting knives.

Russell
  8. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Nope.
    They are made for thick blades like kitchen and hunting knives.

Russell
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

well poo. I thought so but it was in the same section as all the xacto and excel blades :D it was worth a shot
    Chris
  10. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

well poo. I thought so but it was in the same section as all the xacto and excel blades :D it was worth a shot
    Chris
  11. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK.......... my two cents.......

Carbon better than stainless........... stainless are brittle and the tips break off faster.

EXCEL brand better than X-Acto............ cheaper(cost not quality), work as good stay as sharp and did I say CHEAPER!!:grin:

Buy in BULK......... 100 packs or more if possible.

Change a lot........... so it stays sharp.

EXCEL make this something you are more likely to do because they COST LESS!
  12. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK.......... my two cents.......

Carbon better than stainless........... stainless are brittle and the tips break off faster.

EXCEL brand better than X-Acto............ cheaper(cost not quality), work as good stay as sharp and did I say CHEAPER!!:grin:

Buy in BULK......... 100 packs or more if possible.

Change a lot........... so it stays sharp.

EXCEL make this something you are more likely to do because they COST LESS!
  13. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

I second Carl here. I bought Xacto on my early days, and then I found Excel, and I bought them because it was the only brand available. But then I realized they were more stainless than Xacto, and sharper. I used Xacto for scoring. And I change blade for every model.
  14. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

I second Carl here. I bought Xacto on my early days, and then I found Excel, and I bought them because it was the only brand available. But then I realized they were more stainless than Xacto, and sharper. I used Xacto for scoring. And I change blade for every model.
  15. hpept

hpept Member

CS will get rusty, SS will not, and this means alot in a place like where i live, with a rel. humidity above 80% for good part of the year.

P.S: Talking about this, i just need a shower to wash the moisture away from me :-D:-D:-D
  16. hpept

hpept Member

CS will get rusty, SS will not, and this means alot in a place like where i live, with a rel. humidity above 80% for good part of the year.

P.S: Talking about this, i just need a shower to wash the moisture away from me :-D:-D:-D
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

excellent! thanks everyone. I will stick with carbon I think. At that price I can afford to change twice per model if needed anyway :)
    Chris
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

excellent! thanks everyone. I will stick with carbon I think. At that price I can afford to change twice per model if needed anyway :)
    Chris
  19. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Go with the cheaper carbon-steel blades. Stainless won't dull as quickly but in my experience aren't as sharp to begin with. More important, price matters in getting you to cast off dull blades more quickly and that, more than anything, will a sharp blade hitting paper.

Cheers --- Larry
  20. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

Go with the cheaper carbon-steel blades. Stainless won't dull as quickly but in my experience aren't as sharp to begin with. More important, price matters in getting you to cast off dull blades more quickly and that, more than anything, will a sharp blade hitting paper.

Cheers --- Larry