Blackadder's Lucius Pattern Warhound Titan

Discussion in 'Gaming & Toys' started by Blackadder, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

[​IMG]

Question, I need to pick the brains of the painting pros on this forum:

Does anyone know the Citadel colour represented by the bronzish hue of the legs on the FW Warhound image posted above?

Is it Brazen Brass?

Thx,

Blackadder
  2. Tirick

Tirick Member

If I were a betting man I'd call it Tin Bitz, mate, but it could be Brazen Brass as well. I usually use tin bits for rusting chainmail myself. It is a little darker than the pic though, so it could have been cut with another metallic for the highlights.
  3. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

Gawd help me I have done the deed! For better or worse in the wee hours this morning after a fitful few hours of sleep alas I could put off the painting of the carapace no longer. Armed with all the necessary pigments and thinners; my ancient airbrush cleaned and polished as if it were new, I girded myself, loaded up the base coat and commenced the nefarious act. Damn it looked soooo blue!

Then in a flurry of enthusiasm I cleaned the brush and proceeded to apply the highlighting coat. Working in panic mode for fear of a mistake I did the entire job before the six hour this morning and on the seventh I rested. I must confess I am pleased with the outcome. It looks much better that I had anticipated. Whether it meets with the expectations of my loyal posters is another but It's the best I could do.

Here are the preliminary pictures I may do a bit of touching up before removing the tape.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The emotionally spent Blackadder
  4. Tirick

Tirick Member

It looks even better with a coat of paint! goof work on the painting job, and worth the effort I am certain.
  5. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

Thanks, It appears the carapace painting has been well received and since that is so I'll relate how I did it. Naturally I used an airbrush, in my case a Badger 350. I used the finest tip available for that rather basic airbrush and for the base coat a mixture of Floquil Flat Reefer Blue and Reefer Gray 50% and 50% thinner.

http://www.traintekllc.com/library/Color Charts/Floquil_Enamels.pdf

I don't know if the Floquil paints are still available with a volatile spirit base but I had a few jars left from my railroading days. The problem with Floquil is that it really isn't compatible with mineral spirits so you can't store the leftover as it gets gummy in a day or so. You need their special thinner that's not available anymore; damn the Californians and their nursemaid cradle to grave mentality. (Ya know if they sent more time with their kids instead of making up stupid legislature perhaps their kids would be sniffin' that which they shouldn't had oughta.) I gave the edges and the seams a light coat of the mix and a light misting to the center of the panels where I knew I would be applying the highlighting spots no point of wasting paint. After it was dry I thoroughly cleaned my brush and mixed Model Masters (MM) Blue and Gray with Testors Flat White 1 part to 3 parts to 5 and 50% thinner. Setting the brush to the smallest orifice I could draw paint through I tapped the trigger a couple of times per spot from about three inches from the surface never allowing the surface to really get wet. as soon as I could see a hint of wetness I moved to the other side and did the same to keep both sides symmetrical. It was then just a matter of keeping a hint of the base coat between the spots to achieve this effect which surprisingly looks 3D to me like those 3D computer generated images.
  6. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

Thanks for all the input about the bronze paint; I made a concoction of tinbitz and desert yellow, thinned it with windshield washer fluid, and brushed it on with a fan blender. This gave a dull metallic sheen to the legs slightly lighter than tinbitz alone. then I dry brushed on some powdered copper and handrubbed it into the paint which highlighted the edges. I then dry brushed on some powdered aluminum onto the hydraulic pistons and gimbals. You've got to be careful using powdered metals as some are toxic such as aluminum which may or may not be a major contributor to Alzhimer's condition..... where was I ..... oh yeah; I still have to weather the legs a bit more as they look too perfect. I'll probably do that with a ocher and a gray wash. I need to experiment.

[​IMG]

Notice that the aluminum powder imparts a high polished chrome appearance to the pistons an effect I don't believe can be achieved with aluminum or silver paint. A diminution of short term memory is a small price to pay for such a result.....duhiiiieeee.

I'm doing the crenelated trim on the carapace at the moment; I initially painted it gunmetal but I scraped it off, it looked too uniform.

[​IMG]

I've decided to hand rub in powdered graphite which gives me just the effect I'm looking for. Graphite is at least cheap, I get it by scraping pencil lead. Rubbed in graphite on the crenelations. I don't know if the camera can pick up the subtle difference. It's much more apparent to the eye.

You can't beat God for intelligent design.

EB
  7. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

At long last Lucie can stand on her own without extremely judicious balancing. I cut two holes into her generator housings this morning and installed about two ounces of lead. Hastily assembling her and assuming a none too flattering pose (thats some old paint rags sticking out the back to keep the lead plates in place.) I snapped some pictures of a dynamic pose the first ever where she didn't have to have both feet firmly planted on the ground.

I am so pleased I could burst and had to share this moment with you all.

[​IMG]
    Not as blue as this flash image seems, there must be some highly reflective blue components in the pigment

[​IMG]
    An oddly cute puppy pose for the toddler Lucie. Not at all a menacing war machine look.

[​IMG]
    A birds eye view of romping, stomping, death hell and distruction.

[​IMG]
    Lucie standing on the balls of her feet for the first time. Glorious!!!

[​IMG]
    A clear top view shot, but I need a ladder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Lucie looking strangely knock kneed when a gimbal shifted but she didn't topple.

Thanks for all your interest and support,

The ecstatic Blackadder
  8. Tirick

Tirick Member

That looks fraking awesome! I'd love to build one of these monsters, but I cannot imagine matching the level of detail and care (and articulation!) that you have placed in her. Stunning, really.

Great work!
  9. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

BFG's?

Someone asked for Lucie in a battlefield scene with figures for comparison. Well I repainted the old Battleboard and set up Lucie and the tanks etc. but my son must have all his armies with him at school; the only stuff left was pretty pitiful so heres Lucie and company advancing on some foe who is in for a very bad day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay so I suck at picture taking,

EB
  10. Tirick

Tirick Member

:eek:

Wow! She's a beaut on her own, but surrounded by Super-Heavies she really shines!

Someone is in for a really bad day...
  11. Nathnem

Nathnem New Member

Looks grate
  12. rocketmonkey

rocketmonkey New Member

That is awesome, mate! Proper respect
  13. Fl0ydski

Fl0ydski Member

That's great work. And the camo pattern looks like a cloud pattern, which works just fine!

Be your own worst critic, but don't berate yourself as it's an excellent job!

~F
  14. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

Just to keep this thread alive and to add to the "How to" portion of this dissertation I whipped up a diagram of how to make the mount gimbals on the end of hydraulic cylinder and the piston.

The red objects are plastic bead headed straight pins (metal would be better). You drill a recess into the rod end head and insert the straight pin. Glue on the cap and drill an tight hole into the mount plate. Repeat the process on the other end and voila a gimbal mounted telescoping hydraulic cylinder. These have a reltively long travel and are used on the ankle gimbals and the waist to hip gimbals and are primarily used for steering and adjusting the feet to variations in the terrain.

The other style mounting for the hydraulic cylinders on the Warhound is the double rod end. This is the most common mounting and consists of a pin or axle through the mount end of the cylinder and a pin through the rod end of the piston. These are heavy duty cylinders and actually support the weight of the vehicle. They have a very short travel and are thick in cross section.

The toes use a variation on the rod end mount called a base mounted cylinder or trunnion mount.

Attached Files:

15. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

The toes are 100% individually hand crafted with close to a hundred parts per toe (counting rivets). I never did anything so tedious in my life. Thank god the Warlord feet will be easier.

Anyway here are some images of the toe build up:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

There are no cast parts on Lucie and aside from the skulls on the cheek vents no bitz either. I drew the line at sculpting skulls but now I regret I did because those two skulls compromised my scratch build.

Lucie suffered a little battle damage last night. The rear joint on her right center toe got damaged.

I didn't even know that until I decided to take some new pictures:

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------

A close up of the tread detail, if you don't have a FW Warhound you probably weren't aware of this detail before I know I hadn't until a friend gave me a picture of his Warhounds feet.

[​IMG]

----------------------------------------------------------

Finally a true colour non-flash image. The paint I used shows up too blue in flash images:

[​IMG]

BTW the waist armour and the greaves are attached with plastic velcro-like material for easy removal that's why the waist shield is askew.
  16. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

Wow an entire summer shot in the arse and nothing to show for it.

I took most of the summer off from modeling as I just got tired of doing it.

I also can't believe I lost track of this forum for so long; I have a lot of catching up to do.

This weekend I started detailing Lucie and my first project was the daunting Gryphon Logo. I calculated the proper size for my particular greaves was 1.25 inches by 0.82 inches. This approximates the area covered by the FW Mark Tait model.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The direction Mark's Gryphon logo faces always bothered me so I reversed mine to face left purely for asthetics mind you lest my political affiliation be misconstrued.

[​IMG]

Now a question; what is the significance of the capital 'T' on the left greave and is there any clear representation available for the heraldic drapery hanging from the waist armour.

Blackadder
  17. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

I am in the process of building a base/stand for this model as she is slightly unstable in some positions.

The Forgeworld model can only be build static in one pose although virtual any reasonable pose is possible.

Lucie is fully articulated. All the leg, ankle and toe joints can flex to assume any position likewise the waist hip and pelvis joints are also movable. Whilst the head and neck is able to move within the constraints of the upper shield collar.

The weapons are mounted on ball and socket gimbals and can be positioned within the limits of the carapace.

Here is Lucie assuming a different stance. Note that the pistons and cylinders on the legs and toes move and slide in and out with the poses.
    Engineering the ability be posed into the constraints of the design was the biggest obstacle to overcome on this project and consumed the most time; especially the toe joints.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

All well and good Blackadder but you give half a dozen images of all the same pose. Tsk, tsk,

Blackadder
  18. i3pm

i3pm New Member

Amazing model. makes me regret why I trashed mine. Good job Blackadder!
  19. nameflow

nameflow New Member

man this thread's over a year but still cant help myself not to jawdrop
    all hail blackadder!!
  20. MAGI

MAGI Member

Wow
    That is amazing.
    Great detail, awesome to watch you build this along the way.

Looks great.
    Thanks for posting this amazing build

Did it turn out like you envisioned way back when it was just a couple pieces of foam board that you started cutting and gluing?