Blackadder's Lucius Pattern Warhound Titan

Discussion in 'Gaming & Toys' started by Blackadder, Jun 6, 2009.

1. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lucie has been free standing for a few days now. the rubber bands are to keep the right spur in place during re-gluing. I accidentally broke the spur off. It just happened that my ham fisted hands managed to break off one of the spurs when press fitting the greaves for the first time. The rear appendage is firmly glued and pinned this time so a repeat mishap is not likely.

The greaves are removable for ease of painting and maintenance and are just pinned in place with 0.060" plastic rods and sockets.

Blackadder

Lucie appears to have a hulking appearance of late. After all the concern that the legs looked too flimsy it turns out that they appear more massive than that of the original.

That's alright I like my females with a healthy set of gams.

EB
  2. Rakene

Rakene New Member

Wow, this is far superior to my attempt at a Warhound.

i'd love to have a try and using your plans for one.
  3. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

I'm sorry to relate that I have no plans. Everything I've done is just by studying the various images gleaned from the web and making sketches of the components. Hell, I'm not even 100% sure the d--ned thing is the right size! LOL

Just got my computer back up and running today. I had a big problem with reloading windows and have been virtually off line for the better part of two weeks. Naturally the first thing I checked was my emails. Not very many replies from the various forum I usually frequent. I've done some major revamping of the the head and cockpit and finally made the windows and windshield. I installed the cockpit crew and made them so they are visible though the windows. Not technically accurate as looking at the cockpit layout the crew actually sits below the window sill! That doesn't make sense to me so I changed their position. Perhaps their seats elevate so they can look actually around. Anyway thats my story. My son is still looking for the airbrush. I asked him for it about a week ago so I don't hold out much hope that it's still available. Guess I'll bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Taking some pictures later but really not much to show for such a long hiatus.

Thanks for the interest,

EB
  4. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

It seems Lucie is finally finished; as far as manufacturing the parts is concerned anyway. All that is left is the final assembly after painting. Thanks to all who showed such patience during the nine months (actually eight because I didn't start in earnest until the middle of April last.)

I did a major revamping of the roof panel on the cockpit because once the brow trim was added the overhang did not look thick enough. I added another millimetre to the thickness which still isn't as much as the original but I think gives the head a bit more sleek overall appearance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See I'm not slavish in my attempt to copy, (Yeah, Right). My rationale is; this is the Lucius MarkII version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone who has an original FW product can readily see that I widened the hull on my version and of course faired in the void generator housings into the top engine compartment. I straightened the fore to aft angle on the side of the carapace and lowered the overall height the void generator housing projects above the carapace. These were not mistakes as the changes greatly please me aesthetically. If I were to built a FW 'hound I would attempt to incorporate these amendments into that model as well.

[​IMG]

The void shield projectors and the exhaust stacks (Thats the little cylindrical pieces strung on the wire for painting in the foreground.) are finished as well. I still debating whether to put the rivet detail on the greaves. They look so tiny compared to the massiveness of the panels on the original.

I'm using Ambroid thin cement now and I must say its a lot more volatile than Tamiya. It evaporates before I can set the rivets so I have to glue them one at a time whereas with Tamiya I could put a few dots of liquid and set two or three rivets before it dried. A word to the wise "Don't leave the cap loose on the vial of Ambroid overnight or you will have significantly less the next day."

I used the empty Tamiya bottle to store the Ambroid glue as its less prone to tipping and the applicator brush is much better for applying fine detail. The brush is the main reason I stopped using Ambroid years ago.

Any suggestions or critiques will be welcome because I plan to paint this sucker this weekend,

Blackadder
  5. Tirick

Tirick Member

That model is stunning! You could honestly use those pieces as mold-cast masters and make a fair mint if you'd a mind to.

Absolutely brilliant work. I look forward to the final painting. I can only imagine the level of detail you will apply to painting after such painstaking model work.

Sean
  6. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

Some how I think FW would take a dim view of such an activity; or am I wrong???

The not quite up on copyright infringements Blackadder

Judging by the fact that every FW Superheavy tank 7 at last count plus the two scratch built ones plus the Vulture and the Lightning flier and all the sentinels and all the Leman Russ's (gad there must be twenty) and the dozen odd chimeras are all painted basic grey prime with an india ink wash I wouldn't make any large wagers on my painting prowess. I will effort to do my best but I am a very unimaginative fellow,

The monochromatic Blackadder
  7. ARMORMAN

ARMORMAN FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE

making a model for yourself will not incur the ire of the GW/FW Orcs.
  8. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

No but casting the model to sell as intimated might rankle the orcs a bit.

EB
  9. Tirick

Tirick Member

The laws are fuzzy on that I would wager, but I can understand the reluctance.

Certainly making and distributing plans would not likely cause ire.

As for painting, I can't help much there. I've a pile of painted GW models, but I'm not super-proud of my work on the Armour. I still use a brush for big models, and it just does not look as well as it does on the figures.
  10. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

Miraculously the prodigal airbrush made it's appearance yesterday out of the blue. D--n now I have no excuse to not begin painting. As for drawing plans, that's pretty much like putting the cart before the horse seeing that if I had enough ambition to draw anything but the most cursory building aids I would have done it before I built the thing.

Regarding distributing plans; a while back in my mis-spent hours searching the net I stumbled across a goldmine of 40K vehicle plans and templates. Anxious to share this treasure trove I posted the RS link on one forum and all H--- broke loose! No I don't think GW/FW would take kindly to even that and I must say I can't blame them.

The best I can do is supply what dimensions I have deduced to any who ask.

Blackadder
  11. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

The long anticipated painting has begun and in the main it's coming out as well as I expected. I did a lot of masking the first week and experimenting with my antique airbrush. After a thorough cleaning it was working good as new but the fine spray tip assembly is missing and no local hobby stores support the Badger 350 anymore.

I'm a bit disappointed in the metallic paint on the legs but as everything is only the base coat I should be able to rectify the shininess.

Anyway here she is showing her colours. Please bear in mind this is only the basic paint. The detailing will begin when I get the fine tip assembly.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  12. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

The yellow is Testors Flat Yellow in those tiny jars which cost over a buck and a half now. I remember when they were a dime a jar??? I don't like water base paint and it's only the base coat. I'm going to wash it out with some shadowing with rust and highlighting with various shades of lighter yellow and orange in hopes of achieving a similar look to the FW offering. The Carapace will be likewise highlighted and a subtle coat of blue to add depth would not be amiss. The metallic paint on the legs and feet was a total mistake and I efforting to remedy that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

A rare glimpse into the Adder's Sanctum Sanctorum that holiest of holies; my work bench. Rarely is it as neat as in these pictures I just cleared it of construction mess and substituted painting mess. I was surprised how much paint I had left from ten years ago and real toxic stuff at that.

Flo-Quill railroad colours remember that.

WARNING Known by the state of California to cause cancer in white mice!!!

Hell! Everything causes cancer in white mice.

Anyhow I got my 'fine' tip assembly for the antique Badger and tried it out today and here is the result. Naturally I didn't practice because what I do first always comes out best and it's all downhill from there so I did the yellow parts mainly because I was scared to do them. I used Testors flat yellow and added red blemishes with ModelMasters British red which is almost a burgundy colour and goes on the yellow in what appears to me a close match to the FW yellow headed Warhound.

[​IMG]

Okay so I'm fairly good at modeling but I fairly suck at painting.

Blackadder

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  14. Tirick

Tirick Member

It looks quite detailed thus far mate, I've never used an airbrush myself, but you are doing a great job of accentuating the physically raised elements; I particularly like the red as a shade of the yellow. I used to have an Eldar army and on my Falcons I used the reverse(yellow highlights on red), which worked quite well.
  15. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

Thanks, I have it on authority (if an authority can exist regarding a fictional mechanism) that the rust coloured scars are the result of rapid oxidizing of the metal from high energy plasma blasts the residual of which make it through the void shields. It's indeed fortunate that they do otherwise the yellow colour scheme would be rather dull and uninteresting. I imagine the hull and carapace are immune to the blasts being situated closer to the void generator projectors. LOL

I used British Red instead of actual Rust coloured paint as rust looks too brown when applied to yellow.
  16. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

I just couldn't wait to peel all that masking tape off. I had to see what the damages from over spray were and see how the colours complement each other. Not too bad but a hint of steely blue I think is in order for the carapace and hull. I'm rather pleased with the yellow armor, a few touch ups here and there are needed and that's all. I had to reassemble Lucie to show her at her best; a waste of valuable painting time I know.

Blackadder

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  17. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

Painted the greaves for a color test, I can't decide of they're too blue.

Blackadder

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  18. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

The yellow looks awesome.

as with the blue, i think it depends on where else you are painting that color.
  19. Blackadder

Blackadder Member

The images I have of the FW Warhound show in various lights the carapace and hull painted with the same blue to gray camouflage depending on the lighting.

I will be painting the hull and carapace the same colour and pattern and I'm concerned that it will be too busy or too blue. I looks right in the pictures but as you can guess I hesitate to commit as I only have one shot at getting it right

The FW samples:

As you can see I'm spot on with the greaves. (Groan),

Blackadder

Attached Files:

20. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

Looks fine to me. Also, it's your model so ultimately, your opinion is top. considering the nature of this genre, id say "too busy" is relative to the builder's views anyway.