BL-2 Diesel

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
The most recent operating BL-2 that I'm aware of was on the Cass scenic railway. The Bangor and Aroostook had them, but don't know if they're still in service.
Pete

rockislandmike

Life-Like & Proto2000 (same company obviously, but I'm assuming the P2K version is slightly upscale) both make this puppy in HO scale. Various roadnames (including my fave).

Doesn't look like anyone in N scale right now.

BTW easiest way to check these queries is to go to walthers.com and use their search function. Sometimes it returns extraneous items (i.e., decals, sunshades et al), but once you weed those out, you can find your answer pretty darned quick.

PS - found 14 matches for BL2 at ebay as well. Mostly N scale there.

BDC

In N-scale, the re-run by Lifelike of the BL2 was done last year. Engines are still quite plentiful both in stores and ebay. I have one and it is very nice. Starts at a very slow speed and runs very quietly. I think it uses the same motor as the SW1200. There was a review in MR magazine less than a year ago as well.

http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/llnewbl2.html

http://www.visi.com/~spookshow/bl2.html

The first link contains the MR review I mentioned, while the second link reviews the first run of the BL2 about 10 years ago.

I'm suprised that RImike didn't mention that the Rock is well covered by LL's BL2 :)

RI541

Mrgooch,

I've got both of Life-Likes BL2's in the RI scheme and am quite pleased with both,the older one is in the blk/red scheme and the newer is maroon.

Pete,

I dont know if the B&A's BL2's are still around,The B&A is no longer around. I think the where bought out by Guilford or New England Cental. There are still alot of B&A cars still running the rails in NH and Vermont,My wife likes that line.

Drew1125

I'm not sure how many BL-2's the Monon had, but one of them is still in service (in black & gold) pulling excursion trains at the Ky Railway Museum, in New Haven, Ky.
(I got to ride in the cab for my birthday! :) )

BDC

These pictures are from the trains.com story about a restored BL2.

Attachments

• bl2.jpg
    bl2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 68

BDC

3rd pic - getting the engine ready for show-and-tell. That paint kinda looks like the LL BL2 Rock Island, doesn't it? (The new run)

Attachments

• bl2 repaint.jpg
    bl2 repaint.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 62

Drew1125

That's a nice lookin' old lady!
I can't tell if that one has that old single chime air horn...
it has a very distinctive sound that'll really knock ya back about 40, or 50 years!

I always cringe when I see pics of BL2's. They look like an amatuer's attempt at streamlining, the sort of thing a 2nd grader would draw with crayons. Ugly is not a word I'd use for it but "sad" is.
However, the foto of it exiting the tunnel is probably the most acceptable viewpoint I can stand. The colour scheme does a lot for it in that foto.

(Are we allowed to express our dislikes ?:) )

Errol

Drew1125

I think you're right, Errol...
The BL-2 was dubbed as sort of the "ugly duckling" of the EMD line, & it wasn't a big success story in the sales dept. either.
But looking through the misty eyes of nostalgia has a way of improving the looks of lots of things...Anybody seen an Edsel lately?

RI541

Well as ugly as the BL2 is I still like the looks of them. It stands out in the crowd of GP's.

Hey dont pick on the Edsel if it weren't for the Edsel the Beamers wouldn't have a grill.:D :D :D

Shane, in my eyes the BL2's are not totally devoid of character, it's just that it's rounded rear end creates the impression that there is no continuity between it and the train it's hauling, kinda like the GGI's of the Penn Central. ie, it looks like an add-on. (It's an aesthetic thing).

Anyway, like you say... "It's different" :) .

Errol