Bill and Tom's EXCELLENT ADVENTURE in Logging and Mining

Bill Nelson

I'm starting on the roof framing

The roofing material was not adequate to the task for this building, so I am having to do work more consistent with scratchbuilding than kitbashing as I start on the roof, this framing is a separate piece so far, and comes off the rest of the building. I'm working with super glue here though, so that may change at any time.

Bill

Attachments

• SML A.. C S rff fr #1.jpg
    SML A.. C S rff fr #1.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 9

Doctor G

Lookin good

Hi Bill,

This looks very good and well made. I like the overhang of the roof. Very important in the hot south where shade is a valued commodity.

What type of roofing material are you considering using???

Doc Tom:thumb:

Bill Nelson

That overhang is important anywhere there is rain. when they enclosed my back porch for a bathroom that wall had no overhang. 60-70 years later half the studs were gone. I rebuilt the roof with an overhang before I built a new wall.

I'll have to check the supplies, probably corrugated or V grove. I bought enough V grove to do my sawmill years ago, and have been using it for everything else. I need to buy a bunch more so I can do the sawmill one day..

Bill

Bill Nelson

more work on the roof framing

These rafters should really be closer together, but had I done that they would only be half done now.

soon the rafters will get spray painted. the rafters are a separate part, they fit very tightly, but they, and the back wall will come off of the main structure with a little careful prying.

next to build a base, paint the unpainted window frames, and to start the front porch.

Bill Nelson

Attachments

• SML A- CS frmd rf.jpg
    SML A- CS frmd rf.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 6

Bill Nelson

@ the Club yesterday , only Eric and I were able to make it. Erich worked across the aisle from the Patterson #1 coal mine @ Patterson, putting in some ground cover and making a unimproved road that will go to the coal mine.

My first project was to paint the Styrofoam rocks I had carved last week under the narrow gauge bridge near the tunnel portal. after I got that done, I started to carve rock detail into the dense Styrofoam I am using for bridge piers. they will get finished and painted later. I cut some bridge timbers and attached the bridge deck to the steel truss.

Then I went over to the approach track to the lumber loading area @ the sawmill, and spiked some rail to get closer to where I need to build the last switch for the sawmill/coal mine .

that pretty much ate my available time, and I went home to get a short nap before going to work @ midnight.

slow but sure, I am making some progress. It was good to see Eric

Bill Nelson

Almost time for me to go to sleep but here is some of the progress

Attachments

• SML C S  pntd rftrs!.jpg
    SML C S pntd rftrs!.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 12

Bill Nelson

Got up from my first installment of sleep, and did a little work on the roof. the basswood sub roofing material will be painted on both sides to help prevent warping.

Attachments

• SML A  SC rf    .jpg
    SML A SC rf .jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 7

Bill Nelson

Thanks Tom.

I'm quite pleased with it.

I'm looking for some scrap plywood to make a base for it. Forrester is doing some insulation work under the family room, and so my Garage is complete chaos. Once I find a proper piece of plywood, and get it painted on both sides to minimize warping, I can start work on the front porch. The biggest job left will be doing the signage. I want some lettering on the false front, and a big long sign down the ridge line.

I will be studying the forecast to see if it is favorable toward setting up the outdoor saw mill this weekend.

Bill

Bill Nelson

Beggining roofing

Hey Bill,
Be careful with that sawmill.

I will try to make Choo choo club this Monday.

doc tom

Safety first! My fingers are My most used hobby tool , My brain isn't even close, since I tend to park it somewhere when it is time to play with trains, least intelligence interfere with enthusiasm.

I started with tin roofing on the company store / office building this morning. I was going to keep going, but then I thought there might be some as don't live in a 130 year old structure with a metal roof, and thus might not be familiar with metal roofing tricks.

so here are some photos of the tin roofing going on . I usually use Walther's goo for this. my goo has gotten old and strange, and so to start I'm trying Tacky glue this may turn out to be a horrible mistake. time will tell.

If you have two intersecting ridge lines, a strip of metal roofing is curved into the valley first before any other roofing goes on. subsequent roofing overlaps this on both sides. So this is where I start with the tin roofing. Later I will add the roofing material elsewhere. I am going to spray paint the roofing on the roof, and if touch up of the wood trim is needed to erase the rusted metal effect I will do that by hand. In the past I have pre cut and shape the tin roof pieces, painted them seperately and then applied them. that gets very impressive results, but is altogether too much work.

Bill Nelson

I have done some more painting of the trim, and started the sign (some clean up and touch up is always required when I do the hand lettering thing.

Attachments

• SML A  cs bg rf #1.jpg
    SML A cs bg rf #1.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 12
  • SML A cs  bgn rf #2.jpg
    SML A cs bgn rf #2.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 6
  • SML A cs rfng det #1.jpg
    SML A cs rfng det #1.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 8
  • SML A rfng det #2.jpg
    SML A rfng det #2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 10

Bill Nelson

I have the roofing on and painted. this building is getting close to being done. I need to build the front porch, add a little more foundation to raise the freight dock up to the level of a boxcar door, also I will fiddle some the location of the upstairs porch on the friegt dock side, and try to add an exterior stairs, as well as some small porch roofs to shelter some of the freight door openings.

so far this has been a very satisfying kitbash. I am looking forward to doing some site work, and getting a small piece of ground detailed so it can sit on it's siding in the new Sawmill/ Mine complex in Patterson.

Bill Nelson

Attachments

• SML A cs cr rf unpntd.jpg
    SML A cs cr rf unpntd.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 10
  • SML A  CS pntd rf#1.jpg
    SML A CS pntd rf#1.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 10
  • SML A cs pntd rf #2.jpg
    SML A cs pntd rf #2.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 12

Doctor G

Bill,

This project turned out very nicely. I think it will be a way to get the whole sawmill scene off to a great start.

I like how big this is and how it says this is a successful lumber show and thats why so much RR traffic is heading to the site on the club's mainline.

Keep up the good works!!!!

Dr Tom:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Bill Nelson

foundational progress

I have had a busy week and an tired between trying to clean out and organize my garage and working the graveyard shift. in a few spare moments though I have put together a wooden foundation for the company store which will elevate the freight docks up close to the level of a boxcar door, as well as supporting the freight dock and the front porch, and integrating them structurally to the main structure so they are in less danger of getting knocked off when the building is handled or the area around it is worked on.

I'm still planking the front porch, and I thought I'd photograph it before the support for the front porch planks are all covered up

Bill Nelson

Attachments

• SML CS  fnd#1.jpg
    SML CS fnd#1.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 8
  • SML CS fnd #2.jpg
    SML CS fnd #2.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 6

Bill Nelson

rear balcony on!

Now that the building and the freight dock are securely attached together I added the rear balcony. it is a little of the center line of the whole structure to the rear, which allows the exterior stairs, a Grant line casting, to clear a window opening on the ground floor.

Next will be the construction of a roof for the store front porch.

Somewhere amidst my stuff I think I have a warehouse building, which was a part of a Grain silo kit I built once. I need to try to locate it, and if I can find it, it will be a nearby part of the saw mill / coal mine complex at Patterson.

Last Monday I stated filing and spiking down the stock rails of the last switch in the sawmill complex. this last switch will lead to the two lumber loading dock tracks, which will be hidden tracks behind the back drop. getting them out of sight will allow them to be much larger, so we can have 15-20 boxcars instead of five or six.

Bill Nelson

Attachments

• SML CS BB .jpg
    SML CS BB .jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 7

Bill Nelson

Wharehouse is shapping up

I found the warehouse, and spray painted the pieces on the sprues before removing them and doing the basic Assembly. this is a pretty basic building, so all it needs is a little green paint for trim around the freight doors, and the top edges of the walls, and glue on the freight doors .

Bill Nelson

Attachments

• SML CS & Whrhs #1.jpg
    SML CS & Whrhs #1.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 9

Bill Nelson

Train club report

Tyler and I were at the train club last night. I did some work on the last remaining switch at the sawmill complex, and then I went looking for the DCC cheat sheet. wich was right where it belonged, but was covered up by a newspaper.

The instructions for idiots had a hand written note on it wherin I had threatened to hand lay narrow gauge track on the uvula of anyone who moved that piece of paper.

I got the DCC fired up, but had continuing issues with my Y6B

at first it acted like it was acquired, I could run the sound functions but it would not go. I got a piece of flex track and used my wheel cleaning jumpercables to power it off of the Dc power for the narrow gauge.

It would run on DC , and then afterward it would run on DCC for a while and then quit. I could repeat the cycle and have the same results. Later, when it quit I found I fould deselect it and re aquire it and it will work for a little while, so perhaps It is some kind of wierd programing issue, and it needs to get programed for it's own number, and get off the #3. It was weird it was like it lost half of it's programming when it hit dirty track, I could ring the bell and blow the whistle but it would not go unless I deselected it and re acquired it. very strange.

The track at the club is filthy, I need to bring in the DG CC & w RR track cleaning train what # allows operation of DC locomotives? as the 3 truck Riverossi Heislers are the best option for the track cleaning train, and start to try to get the track clean.

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

store and wharehouse in place

I test fitted them, and it is looking good.

Attachments

• SML A CS & WH ip #1.jpg
    SML A CS & WH ip #1.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 9
  • SML A CS & WH IP #2.jpg
    SML A CS & WH IP #2.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 10

gbwdude

General Manager, W.R.Ry.
Dr. Tom,

Do you still happen to have that Climax from your railroad? The management on the Whiskey River Railway may be interested in that lokie for the future quarry...

Tyler