Big scale Williams FW-26

Discussion in 'Commercial & Civilian Vehicles' started by hpept, Nov 8, 2005.

1. hpept

hpept Member

Anybody who already built it can tell me which is the exact scale of the Williams FW-26 from www.metmania.com?
  2. nx13688

nx13688 Member

If the model is exactly 1 foot (30.48cm) long, then it is 1/15 scale.
  3. hpept

hpept Member

Thanx nx,
    for this reason i wanted to know the exact scale from someone who "actually" built the model. Because if it's exactly one foot i know how to convert the scale. But what if it's not exactly? Maybe the scale would be 1:16 (more than probable since it doubles the standard 1:32 size), and since i would like to blow up some more models i have in scale 1:24 i would like to do it in the most accurate way i can.
    P.S: By the way, can someone please supply the driver figure and helmet of Ralf Schumacher to be fit in the car? I didn't find where to download it in the metmania site.
  4. modano1

modano1 Member

In order to get the driver and helmet, you must first complete the model and email proof of the completed model back to metmania, then the file will be emailed to you. I was more than 3/4 of the way done with the model, then threw it out (major mess up), I plan to redo it soon.
  5. hpept

hpept Member

thankx modano, this will give me even more thrust to finish with the model, just to get the pilot ...lol...
    I think the model gains life with the pilot figure inside. Now i only need to find out some figures of the Williams crew to build a pit-stop diorama :grin:
  6. hpept

hpept Member

work in progress

just a couple of pics to show how the things are going on. I feel sorry for the horrendous quality of the shots, but my webcam can't do better.

Attached Files:

7. hpept

hpept Member

work in progress II

another set of pics to show the progress
    [​IMG]
    fitting the front suspensions for correct alignment of the wheels was a real pain. I recommend to do this operation only if you are really inspired and well relaxed. I ended up at 3 am and couldn't sleep well cause i was so upset for the amount of hard work (that could be avoided with a better engineering of the model suspensions). Pay attention to correctly trim the suspension arms and give them the correct angle so that the lower arm (the one that goes inside the blue NACA profile) remains horizontal. I suggest also to skip the instructions order and build one of the front wheels to use it as a template to see how the suspension looks.
    [​IMG]
    this photo shows the rear of the aerodynamic bottom plate of the car. I had some problems to glue the parts because every piece is double in thickness, and some of them must be glued on the printed side. I used a laser printer on a glossy card stock which seems to fight to don't glue well, and the pieces kept ungluing.
  8. modano1

modano1 Member

Just be carefull when you put the sides together (parts c-23 and c-24) I messed this up. Look at further pictures of the model before putting them on. They connect to parts E-16 and E-17. I put these on without looking at further pictures of the model, messed this up and had to throw the model away. Your model is looking good so far. Another hard part is lining up the rear axle and suspension (you thought the front was rough to do?) Good luck on that one!
  9. hpept

hpept Member

thanx for the advices, pal! :wink:
    i'll pay more attention before attempting to set up those parts.
    This morning i tried to raw mount the rear suspension without glue, and i was already figuring it as another hard time... so i'll undertake it with consciously.
  10. hpept

hpept Member

hi modano, did the construction of the wheels go smooth? Honestly i don't like the way they have been developed because it's very hard to close the second lid after the wheel has been partially closed on one side. I had to completely cut one of the sides from the tread and reattach it later, but i didn't obtain a good result. Any hint?
  11. modano1

modano1 Member

I never got around to making the wheels, I threw the model out after the mistake I made with the side skirts. Sorry, I am planning on making the model again, hopefully next week.
  12. alang

alang Member

Wheel problems

hpept

I made a half-size model of the FW26 earlier in the year. Although like you I was dubious about the design, but quite frankly didn't have any problems - maybe I was just lucky.

I made up the outer tread and those nasty narrow shoulders first, then added the sidewalls. There is plenty of access through the centre holes to get the tabs glued and the tread nice and circular. Then I made up the outboard hub and rim assembly, and fitted it, using the hole in the centre of the inboard sidewall for access for gluing. Finally I pushed the inboard hub through that hole, using a piece of dowel on which I had built it, which I could then use to get everything square before the glue dried.

This way I had access for adjustment right through to the last stage, and any minor misalignments in the final piece are well hidden round the back.

Good luck with the rest of the build - it looks very good so far.

Alan

Attached Files:

13. hpept

hpept Member

Thank you alan for the directions. I think yours is a very smart procedure which actually i didn't think about. The result speaks for itself. Great looking tyres!!! Do you have more photos of the rest of your model?
  14. alang

alang Member

DOZENS of them: I can bore you for days! Here's just a couple.

Alan

Attached Files:

15. hpept

hpept Member

Gonna finish it this time...

Hi all,
    finally i decided to take this model from the backshelf, remove the dust and give it a go... the final one, hopefully :grin:
    I completed the assembly of the front and rear chassis, mounted the suspension braces (not without lots of sweating and yelling because these parts are subdivided really badly in my opinion).
    However i came to something in the end.
    Here the pictures to give you an idea.

[​IMG]
    Cockpit: i'm really happy with this part of the model. Detail level is really good and the overall appearance satisfies me.

[​IMG]
    Front wing and suspension: the strong feature of this model. I always liked the innovation look of the wing supporting arms on the prototype, although it didn'g bring performance improvement, being sadly discarded very soon.

[​IMG]
    Engine cowling: additional aerodynamic wings are shown together with exhaust fairing. Overall look very nice.

[​IMG]
    Front left suspension hub: I've left the tyres removable so that it will be possible to show the naked hubs. They are quite well detailed, and it is a shame to cover the part with the tyre. Appearance is not that great because of my faulty construction