Big Boy N Scale

Mike P

Jan 10, 2005
Murrysville, PA
Hi everyone, I currently have a Challanger N Scale engine which I cherish greatly, I had a question does anyone know if Big Boys are made in N Scale and if so who makes them?

sams

Dec 17, 2004
yep,
there is the CC/RR big-boy...if you can find it ;)
they do come up for auction on occasion, and seem to command good prices.
but be sure to ask questions...you wouldn't want a $300+ lemon ;)
they were updated, and the newer ones have much better motors :)
also, remember one thing...you will find it difficult to find spare parts...
they're unavailable from cc/rr
you may have to buy a second "junked" big-boy to scavange for parts :(

hswn

Aug 19, 2003
South Shore Nova Scotia
Visit site
I have both the Con-Cor Challenger and Big Boy (latter version). Both pull well and have been great attention getters at public shows. I also have one of the earlier release Big Boys that I bought from a friend knowing it had a dead motor and have been planning to remotor it but never have done it. Now that I'm getting into DCC I'm going to want to chip them. I'm modeling Canadian National, but I do like them big steamers. I should get a batch of Yellow cars for the Big Boy to pull. Which brings up a question, what is the correct caboose to put with one of these.
Brady

BNSFtheLeader

Aug 10, 2003
Boynton Beach (WPB Area)
Visit site
Yeah you can find them prety well much all day on E-bay but you will pay Collectors price opposed to modelers price. I've been looking for a Challenger for a while now but the prices on them are almost outrageous, I happened to get one from the LHS used for $50.00 and man was I happy I had to customize it but it was worth it.(still need one more but I can wait for that deal)

Good luck.

sschaer

Aug 23, 2004
i have one of the sakatsu bigboys. excellent model. you can even see the smallest valves. unfortunately they require a 24" minimum radius so i can't run it on my current layout.

beautiful but expensive :-(