Beware!!!!!!

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
As some of you know Glenn and I are scratchbuilding two heavy electric Interurbans.
I just talked to Glenn. He was about to paint his unit, but the water base paint bottle cap was really stuck on.

He said he put the bottle in some really hot water to loosen up the dry paint and so free up the cap.
He took it out of the water and tried to twist the cap off, the glass shattered and cut deep into his right hand. OOOWWWWWW.

He has just got back from Emerg with 6 stiches and a very soar throbbing hand.:(
Beware!

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
It's amazing how dangerous this hobby can be as we get into using so many tools and stuff.
Glen, we hope the cut is going to heal quickly so you can get on with your project.

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
OUCH!!!

I'm sorry to hear about Glenn's hand! :eek: :eek:

I've had the same problem with my Testor's paints. Here's what I did (a little late now, but for future reference, to avoid injury!)

I took a small screwdriver, and went around the base of the cap and gently pried it outwards. Only a little bit, I didn't want to ruin the cap for closing it back up. Worked my way around the entire perimeter and the cap was able to be twisted off normally after that. Also, another thing that helps, I have this rubber padding that people use to line the bottom of their cabinets with. I have a spare piece that I use to help grasp the bottles.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
My best wishes for a fast healing of Glenn's hand!

I also clean my bottle mouths with a clean rag or lint-free paper towel, like Russ suggested.

To further prevent the sticking-together of bottle and cap, I put a small piece of Saran wrap over the bottle mouth. Then I screw the cap over the plastic foil. This has the additional benefit that it seals the bottle better against evaporation.

When reopening the paint bottle, sometimes the Saran seal is torn. But this is not very much of a problem since Saran is cheap enough to replace. :)

Ron