Best Tim Hortons Options in US?

RobertInOntario

My family and I are planning to visit Strasburg, PA this July to see the railroad there, the PA Railroad Museum, outlet malls, etc., etc.

Being a Canadian, it's hard to conceive of a road trip without Tim Hortons! :| so I was wondering what the next best options are in the US for good coffee and donuts? Also, what are the best family restaurants?

Thanks!

Rob

Pooh Bah
Rob: There's a Tim's on 219 between Buffalo and Ellicottville. After that I'm not sure. Doughnoughts are not the prime dietary resource that they are here. Have you picked out a route yet? I'll try to remember what we've done.

RobertInOntario

Rob: There's a Tim's on 219 between Buffalo and Ellicottville. After that I'm not sure. Doughnoughts are not the prime dietary resource that they are here. Have you picked out a route yet? I'll try to remember what we've done.

Thanks, David. At least there's one! (but that might not be the route we take).

Our main route through the US is via the 390, to Hwy 15 (in PA), then 11 right into Harrisburg and Strasburg. So far, I'm basically following the route Mapquest gave me but am open to other or better routes.

We plan to drive to Corning on the first day, stay overnight, then drive on the Strasburg the next day. There should be lots of motels at Corning -- I'm thinking/hoping we wouldn't have to book in advance. (We have booked a B&B near Strasburg though).

Cheers, Rob

Jac's Lines

We do have Tim Horton's in western NY at least. You should have no problems finding one off the Thruway in Niagara Falls, Buffalo or Rochester. On 390, there's one last Tim's in Geneseo NY. I think that's the last one on your route. There are lots of places to stay in Corning or Elmira, so I wouldn't think you'd need a reservation. On the stretch of road around Corning you can see the old Erie RR mainline from the highway.

PS I think American Tim Horton's donuts taste different than Canadian ones. I'm interested if you find the same thing.

RobertInOntario

We do have Tim Horton's in western NY at least. You should have no problems finding one off the Thruway in Niagara Falls, Buffalo or Rochester. On 390, there's one last Tim's in Geneseo NY. I think that's the last one on your route. There are lots of places to stay in Corning or Elmira, so I wouldn't think you'd need a reservation. On the stretch of road around Corning you can see the old Erie RR mainline from the highway.
PS I think American Tim Horton's donuts taste different than Canadian ones. I'm interested if you find the same thing.

Thanks! I'll keep my eye's open for those.
Thanks also for the info re Corning. It sounds like it has lots of motels that we'll be OK. I'll watch for the old Erie RR mainline as well.
It will be interesting to see if the US Tim's donuts taste different from ours.

Cheers, Rob

stripes

To me coffee is coffee , but any Canuck will say Timmy`s is the best! LOL
There all ok, Starbucks is expensive but darn the scones and latte are great!

RobertInOntario

To me coffee is coffee , but any Canuck will say Timmy`s is the best! LOL
There all ok, Starbucks is expensive but darn the scones and latte are great!

Thanks, David. I used to like Starbucks a lot but now I'm not so keen (coffee is too dark and strong), although I agree their pasteries, cookies, etc. are great.

I used to go to the US a lot but in the past 10-15 years, I haven't -- that's why I'm out of touch !

Cheers, Rob

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
I used to like Starbucks a lot but now I'm not so keen (coffee is too dark and strong)...

Interesting you should say that Robert. My sister just bought a little coffee house, and they roast their own beans there. They actually have to roast their beans several shades darker than coffee connoisseurs would prefer. Why? Because the public's taste for what makes "good" coffee has been conditioned by Starbuck's.

Starbuck's over-roasts their beans. Why? Because when you use cheap beans, it's harder to distinguish good from bad when they're roasted to two shades from burnt.

Starbuck's has defined the taste of "good" coffee for many people the way McDonald's has defined the taste of a "good" hamburger. :rolleyes:

RobertInOntario

Squidbait: Really interesting! I once read some Starbucks promo material saying how they had "educated" people to appreciate dark coffee!! I went along with this for awhile then suddenly "went off" dark roast coffee. Usually, when I buy a Starbucks coffee I end up not finishing it, but when I get a Timmy's it goes down pretty fast!

This is turning into a strange topic for a railway forum but there is a connection!

Rob

Gil Finn

They pretty much such down here. Thier employees remind me of the 3 delinquents on the Simpions and they dont sell toasted coconut donuts.

But then you wont be come this far.

Do you need a pass port to come here yet?

RobertInOntario

They pretty much such down here. Thier employees remind me of the 3 delinquents on the Simpions and they dont sell toasted coconut donuts.
But then you wont be come this far.
Do you need a pass port to come here yet?

In the very near future (not sure exactly when) we will need passports to enter the US. We have passports anyway because we fly to my wife's native England a fair bit, so we'll bring ours just to be safe.

Take care, Rob