Best G Track

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by SF247, Jul 21, 2005.

1. SF247

SF247 New Member

I have found that the best track (meaning longest lasting, durable, and low maitenence) is the LGB track. This stuff holds up so well, that I have had the same track outside for 2 years and never had to change it. The only ones I have had to change were aristo-craft track, because I do have some sections of aristo-craft track on my layout.

Anyways, what do you think is the best G scale track?
  2. capt_turk

capt_turk Member

I'll have to agree on the LGB. I made the mistake of buying four Aristo switches. They have been nothing but problems. Derails out the caboose. The channels in the frogs are not deep enough. If I do more than crawl through the switches, the loco derails. I've tried deeping them, it helped, but they are still more problem than the LGB, which I've never had a problem with. The rails are much tighter in the ties on the LGB track making the track much more rigid.
  3. SF247

SF247 New Member

Yeah, I only have LGB switches and have only had them in my layout for about a month and so far they have worked OK. I do have some de-railments with a certain box car I have. It has worked before on the switch but not lately. And it only seems to be that car. Going to have to do some maitnence I guess.

Does USA trains make track? I think they do but is it any good?
  4. capt_turk

capt_turk Member

Check for wheels out of gauge, or out of true. I've got a couple that did that till I added a little wieght. Also check for binding between the truck and car. Metal wheel sets will help also.
    I've found that if a switch is not real straight, and level, that some cars will derail. Another thing I've found that helps is to make sure that you have a straight before and after the turnout. I've found that having a curve leading into the switch is asking for problems. When I've put straights before, and after, the turnout, most of my derailing problems went away. That gives the trucks a chance to get lined up with the rails good before going through it. In a curve, the wheels are pulled to the inside of the turn. Any imperfection in the track or switch will cause the wheels to bind and/or jump and derail.
  5. capt_turk

capt_turk Member

Also look for rail joiners that aren't good and tight and rail ends that don't line up perfectly.
  6. SF247

SF247 New Member

I Have Hillman rail clamps so I don't have to worry about the rail being joined. I think the reason just that car de-rails is because it is low to the ground (snow plow car) and is wide. I'll have to expirement, but thanks for the info. :)
  7. tlnibert

tlnibert New Member

I went with Aristo Craft track but I wish I hadn't. The ties are to weak and break easy. A deer can destroy it, but not harm the LGB. I also used Split Jaw clamps, beauce the others mention here also brake to easy. We usually don't have real harsh winters, but it's been bad enough to destroy 30 of the weaker clamp. The group I run trains with have been using the new Aristo Craft #6switches and we've been having problems.
    I have a pile of track out back that needs all the ties replaced.
    Thomas
  8. SF247

SF247 New Member

Yep, same problems iv'e been having with the Aristo Craft Track I have. My dog trips over them and breaks the ties, while the LGB could hold up fine. My Aristo Craft Track also dulls faster than LGB, and the metal they use to make the track is pretty cheap.

About Split Jaw, they are definetly better than Hillman, but because the only train store in town sells Hillmans im stuck with them. They're not that bad, but they do give way after a while. I have had to replace 3 in the past years and a half, but it is'nt much of a problem as the trains store sells them cheap and in large quantities.
  9. tlnibert

tlnibert New Member

I dismantled my layout last year, because of a Canada Geese problem. We found over 30 clamps that had broken. The only stress would have been engines and winter weather. I buy my clamps from a place near Newark Ohio, he runs color adds in GR.

I've replaced all the clamps with Split Jaws. I'm currently rebuilding and I'll have 1100 feet plus with in a couple months. The hold up now,... clamps and bridges.

Tom
  10. SF247

SF247 New Member

Split Jaw is no doubt the best around. Just like Phoneix Sound is the best around in train sound. Even though I have Sierra Sound and it workd fine. ;)
  11. tlnibert

tlnibert New Member

How does USA's track compare with LGB and Aristo. Are the ties soft.

tom
  12. SF247

SF247 New Member

I have never tried USA track, I assume it's exactly like Aristo Craft, just basic track with the same ties and everything.