Best EMD F7 loco

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by ddavidv, Nov 1, 2004.

1. ddavidv

ddavidv Member

I'm modelling the Western Maryland, which like many roads in the 1950s used EMD F units. F7A's specifically. A few manufacturers have or do make F7s but I'm interested in the opinions of some who have them on here. What runs well, looks the best and so on. I will need B units also, and I think this may limit my choices quite a bit. I'd ultimately like to put a A-B-B-A set together. They need not all be powered, and the road name availability is unimportant as I can paint them myself (black...real tough!).
    I like my Alcos and BL2s, but need to represent some F7s! :)
  2. ddavidv

ddavidv Member

Beuller? Anyone? :confused:
    I'm seeing Bachman Spectrum A-B sets pretty reasonable on Ebay, but I'm hesitant about their run quality. Comments?
  3. CalFlash

CalFlash Member

]

IMHO it would have to be the Athearn Genenis or Highliner w/ Athearn drive. I have all 5 Genesis units painted for MP and some Highliner shells I will run on Kato drives from Stewart units. Both drives are excellent and since I'm running DCC are easy to convert even including sound.
  4. CalFlash

CalFlash Member

duplicate removed
  5. railohio

railohio Active Member

And since those aren't in the scale he wants the point is moot.
  6. CalFlash

CalFlash Member

Well excuxxxe me but I didn't see a scale mentioned. I probably did error in assuming HO but no need to jump me for it.
  7. ddavidv

ddavidv Member

Jerry,
    You are aware you're posting in the N scale forum, right? :wave:
  8. Delamaize

Delamaize Member

MMMM Kato!

you can NEVER go wrong with the old Kato F7s. they are spendy, but they are brutes, tough, stong and dependible. I have heard some Ok things about the Bachman spectrums, but stay away from all the other bachman F units.

If I was you, I would shell out the bucks for the Katos, I have a F7 AB set that have been though hell and still run like tops, and a set of F3 ABA that are equally as good.

that is my 2 cents.
  9. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

When I was in N scale my bestest, favoritest engines were my Con Cor PA1 and my Bachmann F7. That F unit would pull all 30 of my cars up a 3.5% grade without a complaint, no modifications whatsoever. I really do miss them.
  10. ddavidv

ddavidv Member

Interesting!
    I guess I just need to troll Ebay for awhile and come up with some to try out. :)
  11. fifer

fifer Active Member

My first choice would be the Kato , but the Bachmann Spectrum runs pretty dang good for the bucks. :thumb:

Mike