benchwork idea for your commentary

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Gary S. said:
Are we getting to the point of " six of one, half a dozen of the other" ? ;)

Probably... but that is half the fun...! ;) :D

If you are still thinking of proceeding with the "modular" approach, I would definitely make the modifications to the shelf bracket to get everything level. Then you can install the modules "free-floating" as mentioned in previous posts. That way it will be simple to tie the modules to the shelf, rather than trying to build the "correction" into the frame of the module.

Andrew

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
MasonJar said:
Probably... but that is half the fun...!

You got that right!

Here is what I am thinking: Build the grid so it sits flat on a table... all the gridwork is the same size. Now, with the long shelf brackets, the front is about 3/8" higher than the back where the bracket attaches to the track. The front 1x2 of the gridwork could be notched at each place where it passes over a bracket as in the following drawing...

Now, if i have switch machines and such under the layout, the 1x2s will not be tall enough, but that is a "whole nuther story"!;)

I'm not going truly modular, just want it to be fairly easy to take apart if I ever had to.

One more thing.... do yall use the metric system up there? Or inches? both?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Canada is bilingual, doncha know...! ;)

I am 5'11", but it is 55 kilometers to work in a car that gets 40 mpg. Airliners fly at 36,000 feet, but you are limited to 10 kilograms in your carry-on.

-40 degrees is cold in either system...!

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Interesting idea Gary, and another variation on what seems to be approaching a final approach. (1/2 dozen....! ;) )

However, I would still recommend modifications to the bracket in order to support a standard "module". Modifying every module seems harder to do, and have bigger complications should you not get it quite right...

As always, my $0.02

Andrew

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
here's another idea, as long as we are coming up with ideas....

Attachments

• bracket2.jpg
    bracket2.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 42

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Now that is cool - and would allow you to adjust as you go... NICE!

I think you have a winner...! :thumb: :thumb:

When I get around to mounting my modules on the wall (legs for club meets only) THAT is what I am going to do.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Andrew

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
you could actually put two nuts inside the bracket, one at the top and one at the bottom, epoxy them in (have the long screw threaded in both nuts with some grease on it so the epoxy doesn't stick to the screw)

this would make the screw more stable. also, you could put a washer and locknut at the top and tighten it down against the bracket to make everything solid

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
MasonJar said:
-40 degrees is cold in either system...!

-40 ?!!

when it gets down to +40 F in southeast Texas, we all take off from work because of the winter storm conditions!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Yes, there is a "minus" 40 (in both systems actually, it's where they meet ;))

Sounds like Texas is kind of like our West (wet) Coast. When Vancouver gets 1 cm (about 1/2 inch) of snow, cars are in the ditch, school buses don't run, and the city is paralyzed until they can find the one plow they own, install it on some truck, and clear the streets! :rolleyes: :D

Neat idea about the lock nut too. Aren't you glad this conversation dragged on for a few weeks, couple of dozen posts, and two threads...? ;) :cool:

Andrew

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
MasonJar said:
Yes, there is a "minus" 40 (in both systems actually, it's where they meet ;))

I think I knew that at one time but forgot...

MasonJar said:
Aren't you glad this conversation dragged on for a few weeks, couple of dozen posts, and two threads...? ;) :cool:

Absolutely. I feel confident that what I do will work because of all the collected thoughts that were put into it

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Gary: after all this time, I want to suggest that you not have the brackets too individual. A design that lets you interchange them will be easy to work with.
However, you may want an adjustment bolt on the front of some of the brackets. I've put up those shelves and lining up 20 feet of the wall thingies gives you loads of opportunities to get a few not at the same height.

Gary S.

Oct 13, 2005
Texas
I thought I should post a follow-up to this thread, just in case anyone else is considering using the shelving brackets for a layout support sustem.

Reminder of problem: The longer shelf brackets are built with a 3/8" rise from the back to the front. We were discussing ways to fix this.

What I ended up doing was filing some of the metal off the wall end of the bracket. This lets the bracket tilt down a bit at the front, making it level. I did the filing with a hand file. It doesn't take much. It also doesn't hurt to "pre-weight" each bracket while it is installed in the rail, just to seat everything and knock off any paint blobs that may be holding the bracket higher than normal. I tested the bracket in the rail with a level quite often as I was filing.

I still like the idea of adding a nut and screw to the bracket for leveling purposes though to tell you the truth.

Attachments

• filed bracket.JPG
    filed bracket.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 36