Benchwork: Correcting Warped Lumber

docsnavely

Sep 20, 2004
Zushi, Japan
I really had no problems with the wood I used for my benchwork. I bought it all at the local DIY store in the middle of the summer heat and humidity. No warping as of yet, but then again I used 2x4's for the frame, 1x2's for the lattice under the plywood, and 4x4's for the legs. I think all-in-all, I used an entire tree for my setup!:rolleyes: Oh well, lesson learned for the next layout:

USE SMALLER WOOD!:thumb: :D
-doc

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
For my bench work, I used 2x1 & 3x1 rardiatta pine, cheap, but useable. to keep the warp, & twist out of it I clamped it between 2 leangths of angle iron about a foot apart untill I was ready to use it, and stored it in the train room. the bench work has been up for about two years now, so far so good.. my bench work is Lgirder construction, and open grid, with risers holding the trackbed, the screenery(what there is of it) fills in the spaces... I hope this helps solves some problems, or causes a base for discusion:D :D :D ....Have a good one...steve:wave: :wave: :wave:

cobra

Dec 11, 2003
belle river , Ontario
Visit site
The plywood method that was mentioned by BikerDad , Andrew and Dave would be very cost effective IMO . I haven't tried it myself because I was satisfied with my other methods . Ripping a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" or 3/4" plywood wood require a good table saw and a couple of people to keep everything steady . You could get 12 four inch strips out of a sheet , making it pretty cheap . I guess you could even use the resulting PILE of sawdust for ground cover , grass etc. like we used to do in the 'old days ' . :rolleyes:

Neil

docsnavely

Sep 20, 2004
Zushi, Japan
theBear said:
A little heavy is it ????
Just a little bit. Once I put the legs on I discovered that I could not lift this big "L" by myself. It took myself along with my poor little wife and 2 neighbors to flip it! :rolleyes:

As for the 4 tier G scale layout, it's a good idea, but I think it would be destined to be a switching only track plan. I think i'll stick to my N gauge 2 tier subway layout!:thumb:

-doc

pjb

Dec 21, 2000
Visit site
Use galvanized stamped metal studding, with foam sheet.
Always dimensionally stable indoors, and cheaper in the long run.
Good-Luck, PJB

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
pjb said:
Use galvanized stamped metal studding, with foam sheet.
Always dimensionally stable indoors, and cheaper in the long run.
Good-Luck, PJB
I haven't priced any of that in a long while. I usually manage to get most of my wood for the price of carting it off. I'll look at it when I get to the Despot err Depot
wink.gif