Benchwork complete. FINALLY!

ExtremePCs

Jan 22, 2006
Hi all,

I have not been on in a while because I've been workin' on the railroad :) I finally got my benchwork done yesterday. Here's a pic of the custom benchwork for the Granite Gorge and Northern from the Atlas book. It's 5' x 9', made from 1 x 4 and 1 x 6 "select white pine" Legs are 2 x 2's that I ripped from 2 x 4's. Home Depot had 2 x 2's, but they were all shaped like pretzels! Braces are 1 x 2's. The stilts around the perimeter are temporary... just there to hold the top level while I mark the track and cut the top.

I don't have a pic of the track plan handy, but it is on the Atlas website under HO layouts. Now on to cookie cutting the top!

Jayson

Attachments

• ggnbw01.jpg
    ggnbw01.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 411
N

nachoman

that looks like some fine craftsmanship. Are you sure you want to cover it with a layout? :)

kevin

ExtremePCs

Jan 22, 2006
Barely, but there is just enough room to have a small aisle on all 4 sides. The wood floor and felt leg levelers (the floor is not perfectly level) allow the bench to slide very easily too, so if I need more room I can move it without much vibration.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
jim currie said:
nice benchwork:) mine never look that good:(

Ditto for me! :eek:ops:
I always get in too much of a hurry through that stage...
Jayson,
Do you have experience with cabnet making, or building furniture? You do really fine looking work!
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

ExtremePCs

Jan 22, 2006
Thanks for the compliments everyone. I'll post more pics next weekend after I'm through cutting the top. It's proving to be a challenge getting everything to line up. 8-(

zedob

Dec 26, 2004
Chicopee, MA
I always dream of doing benchwork that would look like that, but it never seems to end up looking like that. Beautiful work.:thumb: :thumb: You should think of staining it and leaving the scenery off.:D

ExtremePCs

Jan 22, 2006
As promised, pics of the top after cutting and painting. I used a router along the river bank to make it look more natural.

Attachments

• DSC02119.JPG
    DSC02119.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 272
  • DSC02118.JPG
    DSC02118.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 275
  • DSC02120.JPG
    DSC02120.JPG
    16.3 KB · Views: 275

JAyers

Sep 9, 2004
You know, this is what is great about this hobby, there is no one way to do things. ExPC here has shown an interesting twist on the cookie cutter method with the routed edges and I think this is a really neat and inspiring technique. I will have to think on how this can be used further. Good job!

John

ExtremePCs

Jan 22, 2006
JAyers said:
You know, this is what is great about this hobby, there is no one way to do things. ExPC here has shown an interesting twist on the cookie cutter method with the routed edges and I think this is a really neat and inspiring technique. I will have to think on how this can be used further. Good job!

John

I started off using an old wood rasp... Once my hand got tired, I remembered that I had a router in the garage :) Kind of felt like I was cheating, but it sure was quicker and easier.