Bell UH-1 Iroquoise, 1:33

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by fluthecrank, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

the underside........

Hi friends,

the underside is nearly finished.

[​IMG]

even the landing gear is finished.................

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

with the tail there is a good overall impression

[​IMG]

best FLU
  2. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Do me a favor and build something thats warped, has some white edges showing, maybe a dent from pressing too and a nice big glue smear so we know you are human..... :D
    looks great!
    Chris
  3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I Love the smell of whiteglue in the morning, it smells like, cardmodeling! Great job, just waitin' for Duvall to come strutting out of that thing.
  4. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

This is looking really nice! I can't wait to how the rotors are done - how do they keep from sagging, lots of wire?
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

With a stetson on and music blaring............. also remember he liked to surf so it's gotta be by the beach.
  6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Ba Baa Ba ba BAAA BBBAAAA......
  7. Chief400

Chief400 Member

Theres a reason people run to and from choppers in a squat....the rotors really do sag! A Huey's blades are basically two big hunks of sheet steel, I had the pleasure of flying with the last of the 'Nam era pilots back when I did my hitch....Ol Chief Kinney was nuts, he'd chop tree branches with the main blades.....sheeeesh....talk about a pucker factor.....

Anyways todays carbon composite blades do a pretty good job of defying gravity,but not a Huey's!

cmdrted Ba Baa Ba ba BAAA BBBAAAA......

Wrong War! Thats was Pappy Boington....nuther real character.....But he flew Corsairs!

Flight of the Valkyries......Duh da da duh duh.....duh da da duh duh ......duh da da duh duh...... Duh duh da duuuuuuuuuuh....
  8. airbob

airbob Member

Das ist goot! very very goot!!! :grin:
  9. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

Thank´s my friends for these kind statements......

Hi Chris,

you want to see a mistake ?

Here it is:

[​IMG]

I not expected to see the edges of this parts...........the sides I colored but not the edges............hmmmmm

best FLU
  10. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Sure they sag when not in use but when spinning the centrifugel force should keep them straight?, but yeah when stationary they sag right down to the tail boom, even the more modern composite blades still seem to sag a lot when stationary.
  11. Chief400

Chief400 Member

Well I just happen to be an old flight medic.....

In reality the blades aren't 'flat' when spinning.....and depending on the position of controls the 'rotor disk' can be tilted in any direction....also the blades themselves tend to 'flap' up and down while spinning.....as far down as they flex when at rest and and the same distance UP ....lotta dynamics going on up there......

I remember a time when we were tying down the aircraft for a storm....and the Crew Chief was in a hurry.....he ried to lasso a still slightly spinning blade with a tie down and it jerked him off hi feet and through the air.......I kinda felt bad for laughing at him as I was splinting his broken wrist......
  12. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

so interesting stories........

Hi folks,

I like the stories you´re telling here, very interesting to read all this.....

For you somemorepoints to memory about.........

The fuselage is finished...........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

best FLU
  13. airbob

airbob Member

Flue,
    The "dead on" port view is awsome!....you've really got to put more junk in this picture though....my working surface looks like "Chaos Incarnate", and it makes me real uneasy to see such a clean working surface!!!...Bob out:twisted:
  14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Looks simply beautiful! Is the fit really that good or are you trimming a bunch to keep her looking that good?
  15. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Sorry I have to politely disagree, I am not a pilot nor have I served on a heli but I am learning to fly RC helis so I have been doing lots of reading up. What you have said is incorrect the rotor disk does not move around instead what happens is the blades alter pitch at different parts of their sweep this causes an imbalance in lift and this is how the helicopters movement is controlled. Say you wish to go forward, up elevator is applied on the control stick this lifts the swash plate and through various linkages causes the blades to have an increased pitch towards the back of the helicopter as a result the rotor disk is now making more lift at the back of the aircraft so the tail lifts and the nose drops, the result is forward flight. You are right in a way about the blade flapping, they do this beacuse the advancing blade makes more lift then the retreating blade, to stop the heli tipping over a hing allows the blades to flap, but they don't flap as much as when stationary if they did the heli would very quickly loose its tail boom. I still stand by my original comment that when rotating a blade will be flat and as soon as any lift is created (positive pitch) the blades actually cone upwards. Please don't take this as an insult, these are thing I have learned from reading many aerodynamics and helicopter studies, people are very often mis informed of how helicopters work and I just wanted to give a bit of advice. Hope I don't offend anyone. Great job on the Huey Flu I would love this model such a nice looking helicopter.:-D :-D
  16. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

turbine cowling...........

Hi folks,

I went forward with the turbine and its cowling.........

The turbines framework.......
    [​IMG]

the turbine skin........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the finished cowling......
    [​IMG]

overall view.........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

parts not glued !!

best FLU
  17. GT5500

GT5500 Member

Phew, I was just looking thinking surely he didn't leave those big gaps :-D Looking great so far, as usual.......
  18. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Hi Flu,

I really like your backdrop on the last two photos. Is it your work, or one of your kids? Either way well done.

Rick
  19. fluthecrank

fluthecrank Member

Hi folks.......

that´s the way it looks after my weekend.........

@GT5500, I can´t see any gaps....:roll: :wink: :grin:

Best FLU

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. Chief400

Chief400 Member

Hey Beleive what ya want......sit on a hill above an LZ on a sunny slightly dusty day and watch the pilot check controls..Not to mention the various "safety classes" both in an out of the service..yes.....I know a good deal about the aerodynamics,,,,and thats where the term "Pulling Pitch" comes from......
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.